Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

More help with MEP

After suscesfully inserting a WYE Element in the path of a sloping pipe, I find no way to assign a given slope to the branching out line.

Every time I stat routing from the branch, the only results I can get are "constant level" lines.

Incidentally, when I start routing from the free branch of the Wye, the same graphic icons indicating outgoing direction are displayed and the only way to continue straight out is by selecting the graphic figure indicating a down direction. Is this normal ?

Very likely, the answer is in front of my nose but I am really stuck with this one, your help will be appreciated.
Win 10 Home Premium - AMD Phenom IIX6 1090T Processor 3.20 GHZ 8.00 GB RAM 64-bit Opp. Sys NVIDIA Quadro 4000 AC 22, MEP
3 REPLIES 3
I must be the only person using MEP around these shores and since I found an answer to my predicament, it is only fair to post it.
PROBLEM: When we star ROUTING from a pipe by clicking its centerline, MEP give us the choice of Wye junction piece to use next, however, it always default to a horizontal branch out. No choice of branching out at a given slope.
SOLUTION: If you want to branch out -left or right- other than horizontally, do not start routing.
Place the connecting part manually.
Use the Rotation parameter to indicate the outgoing degree angle of the outgoing line.
Follow by placing manually a piece of pipe with the same rotation angle as the branch.
Only then, start ROUTING.
Until you finish the route, all the pieces will be at a constant slope.

All this could be solved if at the time we start routing from the centerline of a pipe, we are given a choice of "BRANCH ANGLE or ROTATION or something to that effect.

Thanks to the guys at GRAPHISOFT USA for their help and patience.
Win 10 Home Premium - AMD Phenom IIX6 1090T Processor 3.20 GHZ 8.00 GB RAM 64-bit Opp. Sys NVIDIA Quadro 4000 AC 22, MEP
Anonymous
Not applicable
Conrado, I've been using AC MEP for a lot of plumbing lately. Sorry I didn't see your post earlier or I could have saved you some time. I see you found the trick for routing a slope off a wye. Of course the slope of the pipe won't be quite the same as the rotation angle of the wye (as it will off a tee). I usually just kick it up a little extra (and check after if it's critical). The other thing that's annoying is routing one sloping pipe into the side of another. Rather than rotate the tee or wye as a plumber would it places the fitting horizontally and inserts bends to make the connection.

It's too bad we have to do the extra step but at least it's possible with a little fussing around to actually get all the pipes hooked up at the proper slopes. I have found this to be far more difficult in Revit.

I'm sure you've noticed that there are lots of things that could be improved upon in the plumbing part of the add on. It's a shame too since there is so much about it to like, and it seems that a lot could have been accomplished with a little more attention to the spec. I think part of the problem may have been that the focus was on the ductwork and the piping suffers a bit for lack of attention or it could just that drain pipes are hard to model and they just didn't put in the extra attention required.
There are some inconsistencies in the application of the Plumbing excusion that I discussed with GS and they promised to bring them up as "wish list".
I committed myself to this "as built" documents and I almost freak out when I find out the all my branches were not picking up the slope. Another item was my confusion with the terminology. I have always use the term slope, associated with % and MEP dialog calls for angle input. It will be nice if they have call the parameter Slope angle.
I am glad you mentioned Revit is more difficult as I almost started to inquire about it.
Thanks for your note.