cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Morphing...

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm teaching a workshop of Archicad this days and many of the asks of the students now finish with ... "Well, you can do with morph" I'm working with Archicad since v11 and morph its the best tool since I work with archi...
I have made some tries with the tools and I think that the posibilities of morph are only limited by our imagination...
(All the are pics above have been modelled in Archicad with morph, no more programs)

By garquitectos at 2012-07-22

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

By garquitectos at 2012-07-27

By garquitectos at 2012-07-27

22 REPLIES 22
JaredBanks
Mentor
I wanted to get this topic restarted. Here's the most recent thing I used the Morph Tool for. The opposite of flashy. But wow was that fast, easy, and something that would have been such a pain to do before the Morph Tool.

I've got a crazy stair coming up on this project, and I expect that'll be using a bunch of Morphs as well.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Karl Ottenstein
Hi Jared,

The Morph gives you the routed corners that you want easily ... but the element is no longer a column, and so AFAIK you can no longer schedule its height (length for ordering)... and the only way to change the height for all such columns is now a non-parametric editing of each, one by one, right?

I think the Morph is great for entourage - but there is nothing BIM about it when it is used for actual building elements, unfortunately. In your example, the morph could be tagged as an IFC column and perhaps (?) still export in a way that is useful in other software ... but one can also imagine Morphs creating combined elements that have no single IFC equivalent ... in which case the result is not only not schedule-able within AC, but is also not usable in other software that opens an IFC and sees only a mass with no structural characteristics. (?)

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.8, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
JaredBanks
Mentor
Karl,

Yes to all of that. For this project, I just need dumb and pretty, so the Morph's lack of intelligence is okay.

BUT... if these Morphs were saved as objects then they could be easily scheduled with some of the default Object parameters (height, width, length). And I presume if we know what we're doing we could open the object, edit/add parameters, and get those to show up in an interactive schedule. I have enough knowledge to know how to add the parameters, but not to know about scheduling new ones. I assume if we match to existing, it should be super easy?

Of course (again this is out of my comfort zone) I don't know what the morph to object to IFC would result in.

If it needed to stay a column, this morph could be used as a subtraction SEO to a column. That'd at least be less operations than 4 cuts... though that is not a work around that I'm particularly in love with!
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Rakela Raul
Participant
maybe an addon that make elements like these, smarter and schedule-able
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Anonymous
Not applicable
You can also produce a column with total control over the chamfers (and a lot more) with the rectilinear tool within Objective.
Although I'm not sure if it will schedule as I've used Objective mostly (so far) for bendable trim.
Maybe Ralph could chime in here?
NandoMogollon
Expert
I think the next step for AC 17 or 18 will be to combine the quick modeling power of Morphs with Parametric GDL variables, some sort of parametric dimensions or "Constraints" (by now I guess you all know what that is).

But over all I think morphing brought the fun back to ArchiCAD, don't you think?
Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Using, Archicad Latest AU and INT. Revit Latest (have to keep comparing notes)
More and more... IFC.js, IFCOpenShell
All things Solibri and BIMCollab
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
lec1212 wrote:
You can also produce a column with total control over the chamfers (and a lot more) with the rectilinear tool within Objective.
Although I'm not sure if it will schedule as I've used Objective mostly (so far) for bendable trim.
Maybe Ralph could chime in here?
Yes, OBJECTiVE is designed to retain all measurable characteristics for scheduling purposes no matter what operations are applied to objects. The attached image shows the timber with chamfers rotated through a 90 degree sweep and scheduled - the timber retains the correct sense of length, width, depth irrespective of rotation etc.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems
JaredBanks
Mentor
Very cool! Can the cut be filleted instead of chamfered?
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Anonymous
Not applicable
JaredBanks wrote:
Very cool! Can the cut be filleted instead of chamfered?
I don't believe so, but maybe someone else knows differently.
Maybe this one of the places the Morph would shine?
Although; I don't believe I have that much control with the Morph tool.
JaredBanks
Mentor
We'll get you that much control!
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects