Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Multiple Buildings One Site?

Anonymous
Not applicable
All the work I have done so far has been with single buildings. I have some projects coming up that will include multiple houses (16 & 25). I have heard of people doing this wth success. I have also seen screen shots of this. I want to plan ahead and make shure I lay out the project correctly (stories) from the start! I would greatly appreciate any input on this subject. Do I draw the buildings seperatly in different pln. files? and then merge them somehow? Whats the secret? Thanks again!!
11 REPLIES 11
Aussie John
Newcomer
It can be a nuisuance to work on two files since you might find you are jumping from one to the other. If the buildings are very similar (ie same floor levels, details and not large I'd be tempted to do them in one project.
If you do go the separate file route use linked modules to "combine the buildings" on one site.

If you have a team working on it then it is easy to marqee off a building and check the option to show only your workspace.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have always used the multiple file approach. Setting up the stories to work with several (or many) buildings is a nightmare (unless the buildings all have the same floor to floor heights and are all at the same elevation).

The main question is how you plan to use the combined file with all the buildings and terrain modeled. Usually it is just for presentation and visualization purposes (and perhaps the site plan if you are preparing this rather than your civil engineer). The plans, sections, etc. are generally done for each building separately.

If you do chose the multiple file approach, there are two ways to go about it:

1. The old fashioned way (since the beginning) is to model each building in 3D and save them as objects. These can then be easily placed and adjusted in the overall site model. The drawback of this method is that you have to repeat the process each time a building's exterior changes.

2. The new way (since AC7) is to hotlink the buildings into the overall model. This approach has two variants; "push" and "pull". One (the "push" method) is to publish each building as multiple modules (one per story) which are then each placed into the overall site. The other ("pull" method) is to merge the buildings story by story directly into main model. These are both a bit more work to start since each building has to be placed as multiple stories, but have the advantage of easier updating later on. I have not had enough experience with these methods to know which to recommend but the "pull" method seems as if it should be more convenient.

All in all I recommend that you try the "pull" method to start. It has the minor disadvantage of bringing in a lot of interior detail you don't need in your overall plan, but you can just turn off those layers to lighten the model for rendering. The big advantage is that the overall site model is directly linked to the PLN files (like a PM layout book) so it can be updated independently without having to republish the modules first.

There may be some better ways to do this that I haven't had the chance to explore yet. Some wish list ideas also come to mind...
TDabney
Enthusiast
"Matthew Lohden" wrote:
I have always used the multiple file approach. Setting up the stories to work with several (or many) buildings is a nightmare (unless the buildings all have the same floor to floor heights and are all at the same elevation).

I would (and have) used the multiple file approach for this very reason. Also, if you're doing 16-25 houses, unless they're garden sheds, the file size is going to be enormous and very unweildy. I would flip through the hotlinking part of the manual quickly to get a general idea and then do a quick experiment or two to get a handle on it. It works great. I have also saved out each building as individual objects. The main disadvantage is that the objects become one material. (you might want to verify that - it's been a while since I've done that).

Tom
TND Architects P.L.L.C.
macOS 12.7
2021 16" MacBook Pro
Apple M1 Max
ArchiCAD 26/27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Excellent responce as usual. I will do some experimenting and more research. The object approach seems good for quick layout and presentations. If the objects have to have one material than it will definately be of limited usefullness. I do some testing with the two linking methods. Thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have had no problem with all the materials coming through. You just have to be sure that the same materials are available in the master file as are in the specific buildings.

This can end up making a very long materials list if you use the definition by application method (i.e. "BLDG01 Siding", "BLDG01 Trim", "BLDG01 Roofing", "BLDG02 Siding", etc.) but with the right naming this is manageable.

The easiest approach is to really trim down the materials in each building and use Attribute Manager to copy them in. Of course the materials are automatically incorporated into the master file with the merge/hotlink method.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Keep in mind though that if you do use modules (and I guess hotlinks also), the SEO information apparently doesn't transfer. See this discussion at http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=1928&highlight=

Then again, maybe/hopefully hotlinks are different.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sergio wrote:
Keep in mind though that if you do use modules (and I guess hotlinks also), the SEO information apparently doesn't transfer. See this discussion at http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=1928&highlight=

Then again, maybe/hopefully hotlinks are different.
This is disturbing news. I read the other notice about this but haven't had the chance to investigate yet. I assume that it is a problem with incomplete implementation of the SEOs. If so, it is not really surprising. It is a major new feature and these typically need a couple of revs before all the kinks are worked out.

Perhaps it is safest to stick with the saving the buildings as objects until the SEO stuff is sorted.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
Perhaps it is safest to stick with the saving the buildings as objects until the SEO stuff is sorted.
That, or use "trim to roof" type features. I know that won't work all over the place, but you could possibly use that at least for the exterior features since that's probably all you're going to be concerned with in the main file.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sergio wrote:
That, or use "trim to roof" type features. I know that won't work all over the place, but you could possibly use that at least for the exterior features since that's probably all you're going to be concerned with in the main file.
I would hate to have to remember when to use SEOs and when not to, since it becomes possible not to notice until an elaborate site rendering is printed and the client is walking up the stairs. If you are in sole practice this may not be a big issue, but I don't want to have to explain to others all sorts of conditional methods. "Use SEOs on this project but not that one." "Use trim to roof for exteriors but it is OK to use SEOs inside." Stuff like that.

Besides I am too addicted to the SEOs to give them up. I would rather have to remember to save a building as an object each time I make exterior changes (and remind others to do so) than to forego the advantages of the SEOs.