Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

National Council for Building Designer Certification

gradient fill on my "unofficial" stamp idea.

I am getting it ready to submit.

Any CPBD (Certified Professional Building Designer) designers out there ?

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

19 REPLIES 19
I thought of you Rick when I deleted some of my better "stuff". You are one of our nations finest Residential Architects.

Very good quote about men with shiny shoes. It calms my somewhat obvious jealousy.

I finished my degree at the University of Kansas in 1994.
I have never been able to quit my work, do an internship, and take the exams. Kids, money, time, pride, etc...lots of escuses. No stamp.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Rick wrote:
...The city planning dept is stocked by 90% dim bulbs (joke 2). I have had several builders tell me they have submitted the same plan, different addresses.. so different applications) and one passes, the other bounces (and the redlines are the real joke).....
the city of atlanta is nuts. man, there is sooooo much truth is these statements. are you sure youre joking? just a couple of weeks ago i was helping a builder permit some drawings through the city of atlanta. and this was a house they had built 3 times before from the same plans, in the city of atlanta. wow.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steve wrote:

Generally speaking, (as a builder that is) there are very few things I can think of that would compromise the "credibility" of a set of House Plans more than to put an Architects stamp on it.

This is of course not always the case, probably even seldom would be more accurate, .
So which side of your mouth is to be believed?? Generally speaking...or seldom would be more accurate.

I do think that this topic would have been better served being posted somewhere else.

Had I realized you were a builder that would have explained a great deal.

I spend time on this forum to learn about ArchiCAD. This particular thread doesn't serve any useful purpose to that end. Time to move on to useful stuff.
Rick Thompson
Expert
JNTDigital wrote:
[
the city of atlanta is nuts. man, there is sooooo much truth is these statements. are you sure youre joking? just a couple of weeks ago i was helping a builder permit some drawings through the city of atlanta. and this was a house they had built 3 times before from the same plans, in the city of atlanta. wow.
They must have hit Steve Hill. I have a dedicated file for him. For proof, look at the file name I give him.

Thanks Steve (Jepson) for what you said. Personally, I think building for a while is the best education for a residential designer/architect. That's what educated me and inspired me the most.
Picture 1.png
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
How about one more nasty little dig at Architects before this chain of comments is deleted or moved to the ArchiPub where it belongs.

Architects have reduced a once noble profession to the point where they are now little more than fashion consultants for buildings.

This is the result of perpetuating the notion that technical skill and knowledge are a non essential part of being an Architect. That’s what the “white shirts” are for.

Ever heard this one? “I am not that kind of Architect. I am a Job Captain.”

Sure you are buddy. Sure you are. You do that.
Please, just step away from the computer.

Sadly, many buildings these days are completed in spite of the Architect rather than because of him.

Architects on this web site are very different. The Architects on this web site can draw! These are real Architects.

Seriously, how embarrassing is it for an Architect to admit that he has never actually made a set of working drawings, and has no idea how to do it?

gbley wrote:
Steve wrote:

Generally speaking, (as a builder that is) there are very few things I can think of that would compromise the "credibility" of a set of House Plans more than to put an Architects stamp on it.

This is of course not always the case, probably even seldom would be more accurate, .
So which side of your mouth is to be believed?? Generally speaking...or seldom would be more accurate.

I do think that this topic would have been better served being posted somewhere else.

Had I realized you were a builder that would have explained a great deal.

I spend time on this forum to learn about ArchiCAD. This particular thread doesn't serve any useful purpose to that end. Time to move on to useful stuff.
No one should be allowed to design buildings until they know how to make them.

Being and experienced Builder should be prerequisite to becoming and Architect, not two years of Spanish in highschool.

It should be a portfolio of buildings you have already brought into this world qualifies you for enterance into a school of Architecture. That, and several sets of the professional quality working drawings you used to build them with. Otherwise, its just learning how to be the tail that waggs the dog.

Djordje
Ace
Steve wrote:
you should have seen the stuff I deleted !

Architects stamp. Please! All that means to me is that the plan was made under the "direction and control" of someone else because we all know Architects can't draw and know noting at all about construction right?
Ahem ...

Please limit the flame throwing to your continent ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rick wrote:

They must have hit Steve Hill. I have a dedicated file for him. For proof, look at the file name I give him.
LOL, as a mattor of fact it was.
Jefferson
Participant
Hey Steve -

I've built, that's right with a tool belt on, truly awesome homes and seen crap that no one could build as "drawn", from both sides of the isle. It's just that kind of world.

Next time I'm passing through on my way to the Oregon coast, with laptop in tow, I'd like to stop and buy you a beer. We can share tales, assuming your blood pressure can take it.
jeff white
w3d design

AC 23 Solo US / current build & library
Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

http://w3d-design.com
Sounds good Jeff.