Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

New Product - Archicad Residential Released!

archislave
Enthusiast
I can't believe no one has spotted this but a new product from Graphisoft has been released for the US market. Here is a link to the Cadwire.net press release: http://go.cadwire.net and http://graphisoftus.com/

The cadwire press release indicates that it will only be available for windows initially. As a Mac user this has me worried unless they are waiting for the Tiger Mac OSX 10.4 release.

I hope it will be available for Mac since a residential solution is what I need!
Archislave

archicad 26.0 US, M2 Macbook Air
62 REPLIES 62
TomWaltz
Participant
That's my question as well. Is the Option Manager something we could buy for Archicad (regular) FOR MAC??
Tom Waltz
Rick Thompson
Expert
Bence wrote:
Bence is here...

This is a Windows-only product, but indeed, it has nothing to with Tiger. It is a marketing decision based on the fact that the US builders use Macs in a much lesser extent than architects and therefore we feel the development/marketing/sales investment needed to make this product available for the Macs is not sufficiently justified.
Bence Kovacs
VP, Product Management

Maybe so, probably is... however, I for one make my living in the stock plan market. I sell CAD files to spec builders all the time, who unfortunately "all" use Autocad. I love the idea of builders having available a product which motivates them to go with AC. If so, then they would have a great tool and would not benefit as much from my CAD files because I work on a Mac, so whatever file I would be sending them would be missing whatever this new feature might be. This is frustrating to me. Spec builders and developers most often start with a pre-designed plan, then modify as needed. I understand developmental cost vs return, but I think not providing the same functionally on the Mac system is shortsighted. I chose Archicad because of it's professional implications, so please don't limit my product because I work on a Mac.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
Bence wrote:
It is a marketing decision based on the fact that the US builders use Macs in a much lesser extent than architects and therefore we feel the development/marketing/sales investment needed to make this product available for the Macs is not sufficiently justified. Again, "never say never"; Macs are on the roll now, but for the time being we have no plans for Mac release.
Last night I saw a demo of the option manager, what a wonderful idea & product!

First I do not under stand why it is for RESIDENTIAL projects, it is for any building and would save many hours of revision tracking.

Second, no MAC version!? When I switched to MAC from windoz platform I ended-up with ArchiCad because of its availability on MAC (and am very very HAPPY with my selection, over Bentey Architectural).
I do not know what to say to GS in marketing arena to convince them for a MAC version. But all I know is that strength of any company comes from happyINDIVITUALS and there are a lot of MAC INDIVIDUALS, just targeting large companies is not an answers to the marketing issue.
Sorry for heated face.
Thanks for the great product after all,
joseph
Anonymous
Not applicable
I shudder at the thought of AC available on Windows only. I love my Mac and AC, but I will absolutely never be a Windows user. I know of some local trades people who draw on MicroStations and were forced to switch to Windows. Poor people. Not me, I for one will switch applications first before I would switch operating systems. I know that Graphisoft said earlier here that they won't, but...
archislave
Enthusiast
After waiting for years to get myself in a position to use a Mac - I would never switch either. In fact, I choose Archicad because Autodesk is not on Mac.

Is there a way we can start a vote? Or a petition to Graphisoft?
Archislave

archicad 26.0 US, M2 Macbook Air
Anonymous
Not applicable
archislave wrote:
After waiting for years to get myself in a position to use a Mac - I would never switch either. In fact, I choose Archicad because Autodesk is not on Mac.

Is there a way we can start a vote? Or a petition to Graphisoft?
we could start a poll, that way GS could gauage the interest?

Ive never had success in starting a poll, I'll leave it to someone to do
Graphisoft should make it very very clear that "ArchiCAD Residential" is not the new name of our software. Or is it? I thought it was simply a group of add-ons that they are trying to market as specifically intended for ArchiCAD users working with residential design. I dont think any of these new add-ons are uniquely Residential. I am a residential designer and I don't want Residential design software. I need Professional software for Professional results.

Personally, I think it is a marketing ploy that will generate negative perceptions. The way I read the announcements I think they were trying to imply that ArchiCAD Residential is something more than just some new add-ons. I think they may be trying to create a distinction that allows them to split one product into several. Constructor for example.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Eduardo Rolon
I agree with Steve that trying to split one product into many by changing or adding some plugins will create a lot of confusion for the new users (ex: Win Xp pro vs Home and the classic AutoCAD Lt vs AutoCAD vs AutoCAD Architectural Desktop) and it can alienate the existing users. This looks like as if the marketing department is running the company ("Look how many products we have, buy our shares").
I have always been baffled by the concept of adding or removing functionality from software in order to change its name and sell it at another price point. I don't want to choose between a version of AC for residential, office, urban planning, construction, presentation, restoration or estimating. I want and need a tool for Architecture I don't have to use different pens to sketch, write notes or do redlines.

My $0.02 and now I have to switch to the email chair and computer combo from my internet surfing one so that latter I can sit at my other desk for doing predesign work and then I can go to my construction document room but not before I do some work at my dedicated presentation computer and monitor. Note to self... have to go and buy another computer to write letters and design its work space
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
ejrolon wrote:
I agree with Steve that trying to split one product into many by changing or adding some plugins will create a lot of confusion for the new users..... I don't want to choose between a version of AC for residential, office, urban planning, construction, presentation, restoration or estimating.....
I think we can all agree that Graphisoft would be better served by being a little more clear as to what exactly ArchiCAD Residential is...I'm quite sure they will provide better info when the software actually ships

Until then, fear not because all of the content will be available and functional with your exisiting ArchiCAD. You will be able to individually purchase what ever components you might desire. See the following link for more info on the components

http://www.bobrowconsulting.com/a/CadimageTools.html

The only thing that will not intially be available to all users will be Options Manager...It will only be compatible with Windows versions of ArchiCAD for the reasons cited in an earlier post

As far as the future goes for a product like ArchiCAD Residential, it probably will need to be a completely different application environment. There are many business/operational functions a builder requires that an architect or designer would never use. The powerful parametric nature of a software like ArchiCAD shouldn't be limited only to the needs of Architects and designers. We should all applaud Graphisoft for beginning to address a wider potential audience...everyone will benefit from this.

My 2 cents
aahatimo
Newcomer
baukunst wrote:
I shudder at the thought of AC available on Windows only. I love my Mac and AC, but I will absolutely never be a Windows user. I know of some local trades people who draw on MicroStations and were forced to switch to Windows. Poor people. Not me, I for one will switch applications first before I would switch operating systems. I know that Graphisoft said earlier here that they won't, but...

i too am quite concerned regarding graphisoft's releasing new products in windows only format. the response from gs is not very reassuring either. i am a residential designer and do some design - build projects. sounds like i may be a potential user of this new product. why am i concerned you may ask? well about a week before this announcement i finally committed to switching over to mac osx. i thought i had a partner in graphisoft, committed in supporting macs as well as windows os.
i am very happy with my new powerbook and os 10.37, it also appears more & more companies are switching or contemplating the switch. did i make the right decision?
one more question, why no presence at mac world in san francisco back in jan05?
tim hanagan
aaha! design studio durango, co
27" retina 5k iMac 4ghz i7 os 10.13.6 m395x 4 mb, 32gb ram, 512 gb ssd ac 22 current
15" retina mbp 2.6ghz 1mb 16gb ac 22 current[/size]