BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

New User Struggles-- on the simplest things

DaveOlufs
Participant
Even though I have over six years AC experience v5 thru v7, I'm really struggling to do simple things.

1- I have tried to create 12'Wx14'H overhead door with glazing panels. The best I can do is to show 4 windows.

2- I've tried to create a simple fixed aluminum frame window with a 2"Wx4.5"D frame with double glazed glass. I'm not even close as I've never seen frames like I've created.

3- I can't even get the perimeter line of the floor slab to show up in plan view.

These three items have taken 4 hours and I have nothing worthy to view. This is really humbling to be so non-productive and useless. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Dave Olufs
Dave Olufs
Just 4 Measure, Ltd

iMac Pro 3.2GHz Quad, 32GB, OSX 10.13.6, AC-5, 6, 6.5, 7, stopped for a few years--started again with 12 thru 17, 18 or 19 didn't work, then 20, 21, now skipped to 23. Started in 1976 hand-drafting ink on mylar...
28 REPLIES 28
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Speaking of Window nomenclature, do any of you guys have or know of a comprehensive window detail showing all of these parts? Sonething like this, but really detailed?:

If not, maybe someone with a thorough knowledge of windows parts and some spare time, may like to upload one?

Would be a great resource for teaching new users.

Cheers,
Link.
DaveOlufs
Participant
Richard,

Thanks for the clarification. When I was new in the business, I knew everything. After numerous years, I feel like I know little. But rabbet is what I remember... But, just to add a little more to the issue, there still needs to be a STOP on the other side of the glazing.

Okay, how do I create a 2 inch wide by 4-1/2 inch deep aluminum window frame normally seen on small commercial buildings? With this frame, I'd like to add double glazed glass and if needed, incorporate 1/4 inch shim spaces.

This sounds so simple but what I've been able to find in the window libraries of AC12, there is nothing resembling this.

Again thanks for everyone's help.
Dave Olufs
Just 4 Measure, Ltd

iMac Pro 3.2GHz Quad, 32GB, OSX 10.13.6, AC-5, 6, 6.5, 7, stopped for a few years--started again with 12 thru 17, 18 or 19 didn't work, then 20, 21, now skipped to 23. Started in 1976 hand-drafting ink on mylar...
Erich
Contributor
Dave,

Take a look at the curtain wall tool. It sounds like this is what you are wanting. Be aware that this is a new tool with a very distinct working method. I suggest looking at the manual as I have not played with it much in my residential practice.

HTH
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have run into the term "check rail" to describe the
meeting rails of a double hung window. I suppose
there would be the corresponding term "check stile"
for the meeting stiles of a horizontal slider window.
Also, the vertical pieces that separate and guide
the two sash are called "parting beads".
Peter Devlin
Mark Wallace
Enthusiast
Richard wrote:
gpowless wrote:
I believe in Canadian and American joinery terms it would be called a rabit.
Although I usually see it spelled "rabbet."
Agreed...if we were actually shaping a single piece of wood.

But what might be stumping Dave is that it's really a trim piece added to a frame. But in programmer language....they'll call it anything.

From another very experienced construction detailer....

Mark

ArchiCAD 12 2523 USA Full + 11, 10, 9 & 7, Mac G5 Dual 2.3 Ghz, 1.5 Gb OSX.4.11, HP T1100, Epson R1800

MacBook 2.53 Ghz, Intel Core i5, 8 Gb,
Mac OSX (Sierra 10.12.6,
ArchiCAD 22 USA Full, +21, & 20.
Mark Wallace
Enthusiast
Link wrote:
Speaking of Window nomenclature, do any of you guys have or know of a comprehensive window detail showing all of these parts? Sonething like this, but really detailed?:

If not, maybe someone with a thorough knowledge of windows parts and some spare time, may like to upload one?

Would be a great resource for teaching new users.

Cheers,
Link.
Any good illustrated construction dictionary or maybe Ramsey-Sleepers 'Graphics Standards' which has been issued on CD, would have that kind of info.

Actually, your window example is very well annotated for a detailer's use.

HTH's

Mark

ArchiCAD 12 2523 USA Full + 11, 10, 9 & 7, Mac G5 Dual 2.3 Ghz, 1.5 Gb, OSX.4.11, HP T1100, Epson R1800

MacBook 2.53 Ghz, Intel Core i5, 8 Gb,
Mac OSX (Sierra 10.12.6,
ArchiCAD 22 USA Full, +21, & 20.
DaveOlufs
Participant
Again, I want to thank everyone for their input...

After much to-do about a relatively simple exercise, I was able to create a window that looks similar to the existing commercial building condition. It's good enough for now.

Speaking of now, I'm saving this window for future use so that I don't have to go thru the exasperating futility of the last few days. With the time spent on this one window, when I do other buildings, I can incorporate the slight variations for the desired affects.

Again, thanks. Now I'm going to try to figure out how to put glazing in commercial OH doors...

Working.
Dave Olufs
Just 4 Measure, Ltd

Erika Epstein
Booster
Dave,
How about sharing a screenshot?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
DaveOlufs
Participant
Erika,

I just talked with an AC reseller out of TX. He was unable to create an OH door with glazing in v12. He said that he'd report it to Graphisoft.

In the meantime he suggested I use the migration library from v11 for an OH door with glass panels...

I did the same thing for the aluminum window frame, using migration library from v11, BUT in plan view, it doesn't show a sill. However everything looks right in elevations and 3d. I probably install a fill pattern or use the slab tool to create a sill.
Dave Olufs
Just 4 Measure, Ltd

Karl Ottenstein
DaveOlufs wrote:
I just talked with an AC reseller out of TX. He was unable to create an OH door with glazing in v12. He said that he'd report it to Graphisoft.
Glad you reported this, Dave. All 7 garage door parts are a mess.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!