Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Newbie question on roofs

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi All,

I am new to ArchiCAD...convert from AutoCAD.
Is there an easy way to create the following type of roof?

I have a 'square' building and wanting to place a roof which has an overhang to all four sides (equal in length). The roof is monopitch. Here's the thing. The soffit thickness needs to decrease in size from 190mm at outside wall to 90mm at the fascia.

Does anyone have any suggestions as I've tried a few things and all seem to be really crappy and not very logical.

Thanking u....
18 REPLIES 18
Djordje
Ace
Michael wrote:
I am new to ArchiCAD...convert from AutoCAD. Is there an easy way to create the following type of roof?

I have a 'square' building and wanting to place a roof which has an overhang to all four sides (equal in length). The roof is monopitch. Here's the thing. The soffit thickness needs to decrease in size from 190mm at outside wall to 90mm at the fascia.

Does anyone have any suggestions as I've tried a few things and all seem to be really crappy and not very logical.
If I understood you properly, you need to model it with a rectangular mesh 90mm thick. Punch a hole in it the shape of the walls, and raise the outline of the hole 100mm.

I probably missed the point completely, therefore it would be good if you posted a screen shot/3D view of your roof. We're visual people 😉
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Visual creatures indeed...

Attached is a 30 second basic dwg (elevation) of what I want to create. The roof lines represent the outline including linings for the roof with the soffits tapering off to the fascia boards.

Hopefully a little clearer now...

Thanks Djordje
Basic.JPG
Djordje
Ace
Michael wrote:
Visual creatures indeed...

Attached is a 30 second basic dwg (elevation) of what I want to create. The roof lines represent the outline including linings for the roof with the soffits tapering off to the fascia boards.
OK.

1. You can model the whole thing with a mesh, but it will not have any thickness so not good

2. You can model the fascia with the roofs, the top edge is horizontal, the bottom is vertical.

3. You can use SEO to cut off the excess roof below.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Solid Element Operations would indeed be the way to go.
One question that I have, what would be the best method of creating the operator, mesh? Archicad primitive object?

I have always been a bit dissapointed in the level of sophistication of the eaves design in ArchiCAD. I think more user defined options would be good, particularly a horizontal soffit board.

I feel a wish list coming on..............
Another easy way would be to trace the end view fascia outline with the slab tool (using the Magic Wand for speed) in the plan window. Then make the slab 40' tall (or whatever your total roof length is). Select the slab, and take a 3D view from the "top" of the roof (i.e. rear view in plan) and convert to a GDL object. Place this object, adjust height, and you're done! (Oh, and you'll need to use SEO to trim the walls.)
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you all for your help.

I have finally achieved what it is I am wanting. It's not perfect as in plan the roof lines don't line up with one another and the roof does not meet the walls at exectly the right place but is pretty bloody close.

Attached is a *.mod file. of 2 roofs one above the other. The lower roof has 4 diff edge angles and the roof above has edges perpendicular. Found this is the easiest for me. Perhaps methods mentioned by you guys are better and easier and even more accurate.

Your thoughts on my method?

MOD files not allowed...sorry

Thanks again guys
Too hard.

I did the attached in about 5 mins. just for the heck of it.
Richard
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Richard,

I was able to do that as well, however, the problem I was having, was maintaining that tapered soffit to all four sides of the building.
Michael wrote:
Hi Richard,

I was able to do that as well, however, the problem I was having, was maintaining that tapered soffit to all four sides of the building.
Oh, you've got the taper on FOUR sides? Sorry, I didn't pick that up from your elevation view.
Richard