cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Overlapping roofs

farmer
Newcomer

I am a couple months into my Archicad journey. It is tough to find help on one-off items. When drawing roofs I need to show roof rafters correct and I found Shoegnome's video #66 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r1Ug2E22Wo on roof construction techniques helpful. I modeled a roof using it but since the roof is a double gable, part of the roof overlaps.

I've used multi-plane roof for both roofs that intersect. Following Shoegnome's video I have a composite roof, then a composite outline that is just the rafter tail, then a composite for the asphalt shingles over all of it.

Shoegnome is unavailable and suggested I go to the forum to ask the question.

Do I just subtract from from Polygon the overlap or is there a better way to do this.

I would love some feedback on whether video #66 is the best way to do this or is there a better way.

Screenshot 2024-07-14 at 6.33.19 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-07-14 at 6.33.48 AM.png

Operating system used: Mac Apple Silicon

3 REPLIES 3
NateLumen
Booster

Hi @farmer ,

I believe I understand your issue. I think the easiest way to solve it is to convert the roofs to single plane roofs (see attached). You could then perfectly align the two roof edges to be seamless, or, better yet, combine the two roofs that are in plane so they read correctly in plan view as well. Multi plane roofs are handy for modeling but limited afterwards.

Gerald Hoffman
Enthusiast

Hi Farmer,

If you watched Jared's video he shows you what he does to model a more accurate roof structure for a hand framed roof. I do this in a very similar way to Jared if I am modeling this type of roof.

If on the other hand you are just doing preliminary design and don't need the detail in section or elevation you can do what you have done so far but modify it as Nate indicated. As the 2 rear roof pieces are on the same plane you can just add the piece that you have over the smaller width section to the rear plane of the larger roof. Add a node at the lower ridge of the larger roof and then add the rectangle of the smaller rear section roof piece. You can then delete the smaller rear roof plane. Same on the Garage roof pieces that you show.

Cheers, Gerald

"The simplification of anything is always sensational" GKC
AC 27-5030 USA, CadImage Tools
2019 MacBook Pro 16" w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU
OS Ventura 13.6.3
2.4 Ghz 8 core i9, 64 GB RAM
27" LG 5K Monitor

Thank you, I always need to show detail in sections. Even when I perfectly align roof sections I get a line in 3D view.  I have been using the 3D view for screen shots but maybe there is a better way to show the 3D view for quick updates? A quick 3D render or something like that?

Setup info provided by author