Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

No Depth Mesh not showing up in Zero Depth Section

James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
I'm using AC8.1 so that could be the reason for this.

But I'm taking a zero depth section through my model. And it seems meshes with no depth are not appearing.

Have people realised this? Or is it just me? Any solutions?

Solutions which aren't appropriate are limited depth (as the section staggers) or adding depth to the mesh (as the mesh is being a roof element).

Has this been solved in AC9?

Thanks in advance
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable
James,
What is a mesh with "no depth"?

Do you mean a mesh with zero skirt,
a hollow mesh,
a mesh with a "Y" dimension of zero,
a mesh with all points having zero height,
or something else?

Thanks,
Peter Devlin
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Peter wrote:
James,
What is a mesh with "no depth"?

Do you mean a mesh with zero skirt,
a hollow mesh,
a mesh with a "Y" dimension of zero,
a mesh with all points having zero height,
or something else?

Thanks,
Peter Devlin
Peter, I meant a mesh that is just a skin. ie no shirt or thickness. Though the mesh is varied and is elevated. Sorry for the confusion.
James Badcock
Anonymous
Not applicable
James wrote:
I meant a mesh that is just a skin. ie no shirt or thickness. Though the mesh is varied and is elevated. Sorry for the confusion.
I do wish that the mesh tool had the option to make a top surface with a uniform thickness. I think it is already on the wish list, isn't it?
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Matthew wrote:
James wrote:
I meant a mesh that is just a skin. ie no shirt or thickness. Though the mesh is varied and is elevated. Sorry for the confusion.
I do wish that the mesh tool had the option to make a top surface with a uniform thickness. I think it is already on the wish list, isn't it?
Hey Matthew. Totally agree. The skin mesh has too many problems in AC (like Solid Element Operations etc).

So does a mesh with no skirt not appear in a zero depth section? This seems really weird. Has this been fixed in AC9 or is it just me?
James Badcock
Anonymous
Not applicable
James,
It's not just you. I just tested it and a section with zero depth does not
show the mesh. I did get it to show with minimum depth.
That is, I made a section with some depth and then dragged the depth
line to the section line.
I don't know if this is acceptable in your situation or if it works
with a jogged section line.
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
James wrote:
Matthew wrote:
James wrote:
Hey Matthew. Totally agree. The skin mesh has too many problems in AC (like Solid Element Operations etc).

So does a mesh with no skirt not appear in a zero depth section? This seems really weird. Has this been fixed in AC9 or is it just me?
I just checked. It is fixed in AC9. (I rarely use zero depth sections so I had never tried it before.)
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Thanks Peter and Matthew. I really appreciate it

I rarely use this as well, seeing as I only came across this problem now.
James Badcock
Dwight
Newcomer
The Kludgy workarond is to create roofs from mesh.

This feature is in the goodies folder - you make a new layer just for these special roof elements and specify roof thickness - say 1"

Then select the mesh and call the routine.

It adds roof planes to the top of the mesh. If you are a stickler, drop the roof planes by 1"

Not great but once it is in the favorites list it is quick enough.
Dwight Atkinson
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
It's frustrating to having to find workarounds for things like this.

But yes, I could convert mesh to roof. For the time being, I've just drawn in 2d the mesh outline in elevation. Which is fine and didn't take me long.
James Badcock