Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Parapet Coping how to...

Clay Phillips
Participant
I would like to show a stone coping on a portion of a building.

Is there a way to make a stone profile to do what is shown in the attached image by using Complex Profiles or is there another way (sweep, Object, etc.)

I'm new so speak slowly...

coping.jpg
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
There are a few solutions on this problem.

The easiest way is to make a profile and apply that on beam tools. But there could be some trouble to make the horizontal piece to connect correct to the angled beam. Try and se if it works for you.

Another easy way is to buy for example "3d profiler tool" from Cadimage.

Self I would build a GDL object that could do this thing, but this object is not the easiest object to do if you aren't familiar with GDL-language.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Create a Complex Beam.
Beams can be inclined in ArchiCAD 10. Hopefully that is the version you are using.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Aussie John
Newcomer
laszlonagy wrote:
Create a Complex Beam.
Beams can be inclined in ArchiCAD 10. Hopefully that is the version you are using.
Unfortunately inclined beams dont mitre in the vertical plane (retain vertical end face). SEO can be used to clean up the join but is messy as a number of operations are required
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
Aussie wrote:
laszlonagy wrote:
Create a Complex Beam.
Unfortunately inclined beams dont mitre in the vertical plane (retain vertical end face). SEO can be used to clean up the join but is messy as a number of operations are required
The coping shown should miter at equal angles (as the beams do automatically) not vertically. This is not like a cornice to rake miter that does require a vertical miter (with SEOs and custom profiles to make a proper joint). It would seem strange to have a different coping profile for the sloping part that would be required for the vertical joint.
Aussie John
Newcomer
Matthew wrote:
Aussie wrote:
laszlonagy wrote:
Create a Complex Beam.
The coping shown should miter at equal angles (as the beams do automatically) not vertically. This is not like a cornice to rake miter that does require a vertical miter (with SEOs and custom profiles to make a proper joint). It would seem strange to have a different coping profile for the sloping part that would be required for the vertical joint.
I wasnt suggesting that the beams join along a vertical plane but that mitres dont work in the Z direction as distinct from the x/y plane
Cheers John
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
This can be done with an add on called Objective. No GDL is necessary and one object can be created and rotated vertically to any angle in any number of locations in the model. The ends of each instance of the object can be cut in any plane to mitre properly horizontally, vertically or even at a compound angle.
Visit the website to download a trial version.
www.encina.co.uk
Anonymous
Not applicable
Aussie wrote:
Matthew wrote:
Aussie wrote:
I wasnt suggesting that the beams join along a vertical plane but that mitres dont work in the Z direction as distinct from the x/y plane
Unless I am not understanding you, I have found that angled beams do miter in x/y/z correctly as long as the profile is appropriate to the function. It's just conditions like classical rake/cornice joints that require special attention.
Aussie John
Newcomer
Matthew wrote:
Unless I am not understanding you, I have found that angled beams do miter in x/y/z correctly as long as the profile is appropriate to the function. It's just conditions like classical rake/cornice joints that require special attention.
hmmmm. I must be missing something as the ends of the beams are always vertical for me.

Im talking about a custom profile with two beams end on end and one angled.
Cheers John
[/size]
Aussie John
Newcomer
using a GS profile
Cheers John
[/size]