Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Presentation line weight

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am learning ArchiCAD, and I want to make some elevations with a landscape.

How is the best manner?

1) I should change the line weight inside the view, but with the pens & materials panel it can only be done for the total model.
And also do some lines away to make it more simple, is that possible?

2) I have a pond, and with an elevation i make a section in it.
It is build with an mesh, an a second mesh with a texture of water.
The one with the water is now a rectangle that is going trough the other on the section.
I want to do it with Solid Elements Operator, but this doesn't work with terrain.
What is the best way? (except 2D)
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
SEOs work just fine with meshes (terrain) if the mesh is solid. Make sure you have the mesh set to have sides and a bottom. Otherwise it is a surface model and won't work.

If it is set correctly and you are still having problems there is probably something wrong with your particular mesh. The most common problem is self intersection, such as when the outside edges are crossing somewhere. Another problem I have seen is if it comes to a point with zero included angle, such as between an arc and a tangent line.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
SEOs work just fine with meshes (terrain).
Sorry, but I can't get it, probably I am doing something wrong:
the mesh is solid; (see the image above)
the mesh is set to have sides and a bottom;
there is no self intersection;
it has no point with zero included angle (as far as I know)

I include the model for a couple of days, the desired elevation is 'Pleingevel'
Its on: rapidshare.com/files/363000139/Ontwerp_Draft.pln.html
If you could please help me out on what I am doing wrong, so I can solve it and that I never do it again...

Also, is it possible to make the line weight view dependent?
A line that is far away in the view above is not far away on an other sight...
And with Pen and colors it is not view dependent.

Greatest thanks
Maarten
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry my commercial license won't open a file created with the educational version.
Erika Epstein
Booster
Maarten,
Try posting a screenshot or two that will illustrate the problem.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika wrote:
Maarten,
Try posting a screenshot or two that will illustrate the problem.
Done, I have made it as clear as I think I can:

Question one is solved, but the mesh I can't find.

Many thanks,
Maarten
Erika Epstein
Booster
Maarten,
Thanks for the picture.
1. On your elevations, you can set a marked distant line. On the section or elevation settings box>Model Display tab> Marked distant Area. This will allow you to set one pen wieght for behind this line which is thinner than those in front.

To get the trees to appear in simple rendition when they are beyond the marked distant line i.e greater than a set distance from the elevation line will take some GDL scripting. Someone else here will have to help you with that.

2. When you do the SEO, if the water is the TARGET and the site mesh is the OPERATOR change the type of OPERATION to be Subtraction with Downwards Extrusion. This will subtract the portion of the water below the top of the mesh.

HTH
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika wrote:
Maarten,
Thanks for the picture.
1. On your elevations, you can set a marked distant line. On the section or elevation settings box>Model Display tab> Marked distant Area. This will allow you to set one pen wieght for behind this line which is thinner than those in front.
Nice tip, but there is no possibility to set the depth of the front view
Erika wrote:
To get the trees to appear in simple rendition when they are beyond the marked distant line i.e greater than a set distance from the elevation line will take some GDL scripting. Someone else here will have to help you with that.
I stopped with scripting because my English knowledge isn't good enough (I regret)
I appreciate this forum because people really want to help , but to learn me English scripting, it would cost to much time from that person

For now I have the solution to turn the elevations into grayscale, and make every tree gray. it gives a nice picture, and it is approximately what I wanted.
Erika wrote:
2. When you do the SEO, if the water is the TARGET and the site mesh is the OPERATOR change the type of OPERATION to be Subtraction with Downwards Extrusion. This will subtract the portion of the water below the top of the mesh.

Ok, that way it takes the visible surface of the water (that s good) and cuts the rest, but it still goes down vertically perpendicular. I think a mesh can't be slant?
This will just become 2D work, that at least works