Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Reading & Using Problem Reports for ArchiCAD

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have several models that continually crash in Lightworks Photo Rendering.

Can we read the report or can we use it to correct the problem...or.....do we just give up and not do a Lightwork picture of this model...?

How can I learn what to do when...? any Ideas may help.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Djordje
Ace
atelier wrote:
I have several models that continually crash in Lightworks Photo Rendering.

Can we read the report or can we use it to correct the problem...or.....do we just give up and not do a Lightwork picture of this model...?

How can I learn what to do when...? any Ideas may help.

Thanks
Can be a lot of things ...

Archicad version, OS, machine specs?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Djordje wrote:

Archicad version, OS, machine specs?

That's it! I'm going to start counting now!

Cheers,
Link.
Dwight
Newcomer
To fix a rendering problem, or any software problem requires the slogan
"Think Like a Mechanic™".

Think like a mechanic because everybody knows that to solve a problem, thinking like an architect really means "what stooge can I pass this off to with a fancy arm gesture. (see avatar)"

First, put on your Graphisoft mechanic coveralls.

When faced with a problem or malfunction, the mechanic methodically eliminates error possibilties. Renderings crash for two reasons:

Complexity and/or Corruption.

Corruption:
You made an impossible element and ignored the initial warning. Something developed bad parameters or whatever. Boogles.

Complexity:
The model's 3D temporary file exceeds the hard drive and RAM capacity. The rendering slows down or stops. Lot of hard drive grinding.

In both cases, the 50/50 approach is useful. Turn off 1/2 of the layers holding content. Does the rendering work now? Reverse - look at the other half of the layers. Does the rendering work? If so, you have a RAM/memory problem. Get more ram. Check hard drive.

If one of the 50/50 layer renderings fails, it is a corrupted element. Continue to reduce layers by half until you isolate the bad layer. It will contain the bad element. Switching layers off is way faster than guessing about elements.

Odds are that a bad element will be something involving external macro references, picture references or will be a third party object.

You must also keep track of what you are doing. The first time a rendering goes bad is the time - no matter how inconvenient - to do the problem solving with persistence and courage.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks guys
LEts start with the basics...this does not always happen, just 50% of the time for specific model files.

I am running AC10 with all the latest updates on a G5 MAC that is only a year old.....so the hardware is most likely not the problem. And, the models are often very simple and small.

My question is what to do with these reports...? how to read them...? and/or how to correct the problem..so that I can present a 3D Lightwork image to my cllients? No where in all the litterature do I find any assistance in any form with "if this happens try this" etc.

Yes I can take the lights off, or reduce the size of the picture..but to what levels etc. is it all trial by error? Where do we go....evey my AC sales representative or Boston's office can not give any directions.

Thanks,
Dwight
Newcomer
Can you send me a small, problem file?

That would be as a DROPLOAD free file transfer (www.dropload.com)

ZIPPED

to:
info.beginnernomore@telus.net
Dwight Atkinson