Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Recommended Reading

Anonymous
Not applicable
So I thought this would be a good idea, for forum users to list any resources they've found extremely useful for archiCAD information. (Besides this very useful forum).

So I'll start with a request: I'm looking for the best "complete" resource for ArchiCAD. A full out codex of archiCAD content, from basic functions, to high-end graphic exporting and animations. The tutorial books which came with our software is no longer solving my questions...

So, please, list any and all great resources and tell me how helpful you think it would be.

also, if you have time, please list a link to web site listing the book you are recommending (or at least the author's name so no one confuses books)

thank you...

I can't wait to see what you all recommend...
18 REPLIES 18
TomWaltz
Participant
Petri wrote:
Classes beat One-on-One training hands down. Pedagocially One-on-One is simply bad; didactically extremely problematic; as comes to Discipline and Structure, hopeless.

NEVER GET TRAINING FROM SOMEONE WHO PREFERS ONE-ON-ONE
OK, obviously you know more than the rest of us... why is one-on-one so bad? How many others would you like in a class and why?
Tom Waltz
Dwight
Newcomer
It was probably an un-welcomed advance.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
There's only one printed book out there that I think is both current and worth anything (in 2007), and that's Dwight's book.

Other than that, AEC Info Systems and Digital Vision (Archicad resellers) both maintain decent online tips guides.
I just went to Amazon.com and this is the message given for Dwights book:
Availability: Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

Where else is Dwights book for sale?

Thanks
Erich
Contributor
Look at Dwight's post just above yours...

Also many on the resellers have his book available, check with your local reseller.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Dwight
Newcomer
All right.

Let me clarify that the book published by Graphisoft in 2002 and sold through Amazon was the title "Illustration in Archicad." IT IS OBSOLETE and that is why it is not stocked there anymore. YOU DO NOT NEED THIS BOOK.

At the bottom of my Archicad TALK Forum postings including this one are explicit instructions on how to order my current book "LightWorks in ArchiCAD" USING YOUR CREDIT CARD AT PAYPAL.
YOU NEED THIS BOOK. I do not sell this book through conventional channels LIKE BOOKSTORES because they have unreasonable purchase agreements that allow them to order many books, not pay for those books, and return what they don't sell at my expense. Unfair. I reach my audience through Archicad dealers who chose to stock my book and by direct mail because that is how the audience is most efficiently reached.

Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
All right.

Let me clarify that the book published by Graphisoft in 2002 and sold through Amazon was the title "Illustration in Archicad." IT IS OBSOLETE and that is why it is not stocked there anymore. YOU DO NOT NEED THIS BOOK.

At the bottom of my Archicad TALK Forum postings including this one are explicit instructions on how to order my current book "LightWorks in ArchiCAD" USING YOUR CREDIT CARD AT PAYPAL.
YOU NEED THIS BOOK. I do not sell this book through conventional channels LIKE BOOKSTORES because they have unreasonable purchase agreements that allow them to order many books, not pay for those books, and return what they don't sell at my expense. Unfair. I reach my audience through Archicad dealers who chose to stock my book and by direct mail because that is how the audience is most efficiently reached.

Very Well, even with your back toward your audience.

You cannot separate the Observed from the Observer

or

There Is No Objective Reality
Djordje
Ace
Petri wrote:
One probably should NEVER ASSUME THAT one KNOWS WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT?
I really have to ask here:

what is your problem?

Do you just like to quarrel, or are you frustrated that your infinite knowledge is not recognized? Come on, man, you are an old time user. If you had any scrap with GS Finland or any of the resellers, please go there, and sort it out. Don't take your frustrations on everyone here. We had nothing to do with it, so please stop and try to be civil in your address.

In my experience, people preferred one on one, because it could be customized, and to the point. The classroom approach is better for getting an overall knowledge, but the chain as strong as the weakest link - the slowest user in the class is going to set the pace.

As a trainer, I preferred small group training with set list of goals and previous knowledge. The classroom training was always a challenge of finding the balance between the best and the worst pupil, and the one on one I don't like very much, because it often goes off into the loops and tangents ...

If we all so pi** you off, then maybe you should not be here? Or is your masochistic streak so strong?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Karl Ottenstein
Djordje wrote:
As a trainer, I preferred small group training with set list of goals and previous knowledge. The classroom training was always a challenge of finding the balance between the best and the worst pupil, and the one on one I don't like very much, because it often goes off into the loops and tangents ...
I couldn't agree more, Djordje!

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Djordje wrote:
If we all so pi** you off, then maybe you should not be here? Or is your masochistic streak so strong?
I don't think it's just us. Vectorworks Forum Thread
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10