cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Renovation override styles - pen weights

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm trying to get my existing elements drawn with heavier pen weight. I can choose pen color in renovation override styles palette, but it doesn't affect to pen weight.

As a result, I'm looking something like that:
http://www.jamesanzalone.com/imglib/725Plan.jpg

Or actually opposite of that, new structures with thin pen and existing with bolder one.
4 REPLIES 4
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
This is so by design. And because of this it is kind of misleading.
Why?
Because the way ArchiCAD Pens work is a Pen definition includes the setting for both the Pen COLOR and the Pen THICKNESS.

However, when you define an override Pen for a Reno Filter, when an element is overridden, it will be overridden only by the Override Pen's COLOR, but NOT WITH ITS THICKNESS.

I am sure this is a decision GS Product Designers had to make when designing this functionality and this is how they decided.
I personally think that in such cases it would always be the best to leave the choice to the User. So there could be a setting in the Work Environment Dialog called "Override Pen Thicknesses with Renovation Filter Override Pen's Thickness" or something. The User would be able to toggle the state of this setting. This way it would be under the control of the user and either desired output would be attainable.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok thanks. That sounds quite illogical to me. I hope that GS figure out a better solution for that.

So, if the reno filter is off the table, is there another easy way to produce that kind of result because I really need it right now? Or do I have to change the pen setting to each element separately? For this case, that is not a big problem because I only need one type of plan, but it would be good to know.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, I think you will need to use another Pen Set with different defined Pen thicknesses.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
tsturm
Newcomer
Based on Laszlo's reply, since you will not be able to change the line thickness by changing the pen it goes with, you should try to do your printing in grey scale. The parts of the building you want to emphasize would be in the black pen and the parts you want to minimize would be in grey. The amount of grey is up to you. However, you will be stuck with the thickness of the wall you are changing.

This process of selecting a pen to change the color during the reno filter, is very strange. Perhaps the designers could have provided a color wheel to make the selection from versus using the pen chart.
Terrence Sturm, Architect
AC 23 build
AC 24 build 5000