Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Representing cantilevers on floor plan

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all, I am trying to make the cantilever on the second story show as a dashed line on the first story. What is the best way to do that?

Thanks
Qutaibah Hamadah
14 REPLIES 14
Dwight
Newcomer
Slab representation on other stories is addressed in the Project Preferences.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for you note Dwight, I have noticed that I could use the Construction Elements setting in the Project Preference Panel to represent slabs as dashed lines on a lower story.
However, It is not giving me the result I am looking for. I am starting to think that this might be related to the way I am building my model.

I am currently building my model so that the slab is built to the inside face of the exterior walls. When projecting the cantilevered mass on the story below. The dashed line will only represent the extent of the slab and leave out the wall thickness, which is not a correct representation of the cantilevered mass.

Should I building my slab so it extends to the outside face of the wall? That way I will get a correct representation of the cantilevered mass, but the section will not look right. The slab shoots to the outside face of the exterior wall.

What is a good way to address this situation?
Thanks for you input
Habiatuq
Anonymous
Not applicable
You could extend the slab so it shows properly below and then subtract the walls from it using SEOs. This will not affect the display in plan but will make the 3D (and thus section) correct.

It seems a bit funny to use what most consider a shortcoming in the SEOs to get a desired result. As my dear friend Dwight would say, "It's a trick!"
Dwight
Newcomer
Krikey.

It's a trick, allright, just like love: a trick designed to get us to reproduce.

The BIM fails us here. Or at least ArchiCAD's BIM.

If the solution is this complex, and I needed that kind of precision, I'd be drawing a dashed line.

Now, there's a trick.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Maybe if we can manipulate slab priorities.
Do Slabs come with priority settings? can we manipulate their priority to ditermin how they intersect with walls?

H
Thomas Holm
Booster
habiatuq wrote:
Maybe if we can manipulate slab priorities.
Do Slabs come with priority settings? can we manipulate their priority to ditermin how they intersect with walls? H
Yes, at least in 10 but not to the extent that the slab's dashed representation line doesn't represent the true extent of the slab. In AC10, walls can also be shown on several floors as you like, but then you'd get a line for both the inside and the outside of the wall.

The truth is like Djordje says you can't get the computer to do what you want, just what you tell it to do. If you want a line like that, set the ghost story to show the story above and then trace the contour and draw the line you want. Like Dwight says that's the simplest solution.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
We set our slabs (floor composits) to extend to the sheathing line, as they do in real construction. The wall extends to the bottom of the slab, or more accurately, to the bottom of the mud sill. SEO the slab from the wall with downwards extrusion, put in your mud sill and the model is correct. Siding is outside of the slab so it all shows properly and in section is correct. Doesn't everyone do it that way?
Rick Thompson
Expert
Dr wrote:
We set our slabs (floor composits) to extend to the sheathing line, as they do in real construction. The wall extends to the bottom of the slab, or more accurately, to the bottom of the mud sill. SEO the slab from the wall with downwards extrusion, put in your mud sill and the model is correct. Siding is outside of the slab so it all shows properly and in section is correct. Doesn't everyone do it that way?
I don't. I prefer the wall height to be the actual wall height.. 8'-1".. 9'-0" whatever. If you make the wall taller to compensate for the slab sheathing and siding, then the wall is no longer accurate. I wrap the floor slab with a composite of sheathing and siding (or brick, stucco.. I have composites for all of them available. I put that on a layer called exterior misc so i can turn it off for the print view. This is also good for acccuracy if you are doing material take-offs. Where a porch might be, then you leave off the sheathing/siding strip. That strip goes to the bottom of the mud sill to the bottom of the wall. Doesn't everyone do it that way
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Thomas Holm
Booster
I vote for you, Rick. With this method you can model the slab as it will be built/cast. Surely recommended.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1