cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
License Delivery maintenance is expected to occur on Saturday, October 19, between 4 and 6 PM CEST. This may cause a short 60-minute outage in which license-related tasks: license key upload, download, update, SSA validation, access to the license pool may not function properly. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

'Roof Accessory - Roof Surfacer' equivalent for walls

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Folks,

There are probably plenty of 'No' responses to the following, but anyway...

In AC9,is there a way to use the Roof Surfacer accessory on elements other than roofs?

or alternately,

Is there a Wall Accessory similar to Roof Surfacer for Walls?

I have seen Wall Surfacer for objectsonline, and have seen the CadImage Accesory Pack but neither seem to have the same geometry/functionality as the existing inbuilt Accessory...

Any guidance/info would be much appreciated...

Thanks
Alan
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Alan wrote:
Hi Folks,

There are probably plenty of 'No' responses to the following, but anyway...

In AC9,is there a way to use the Roof Surfacer accessory on elements other than roofs?

or alternately,

Is there a Wall Accessory similar to Roof Surfacer for Walls?

I have seen Wall Surfacer for objectsonline, and have seen the CadImage Accesory Pack but neither seem to have the same geometry/functionality as the existing inbuilt Accessory...

Any guidance/info would be much appreciated...

Thanks
Alan
Alan,
what are you trying to achieve that the mentioned accesories don't do???

Dan K
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Dan,

In the Roof Surfacer, there is the 'Standing Seam' sheathing type....

I am trying to add a 'Standing Seam'-type finish to a wall area, creating wrapped effect down from a roof...

I can get the roof to accept the Roof Surfacer, but cannot get the wall to do so, hence the need for either a similar accessory, or similar geometry...

Apologies for not explaining the problem further the first time..

Thanks
Alan
Anonymous
Not applicable
Alan,
I looked at the wall accessory code and it would not be easy at all
to change the code to make a standing seam wall panel.
To make the roof accessory make a standing seam panel
at 89.9 ° is possible but the cutting elements for the perimeter
saw off the the standing seams.
The only thing that comes to mind is to use TrussMaker to make
vertical bars the dimension of a standing seam and multiply copies
aligned with the roof standing seams and placed on the wall surface.
Peter Devlin
If you don't find a wall accessory to do what you want (buying it will be cheaper than any other option), one quick and dirty solution would be to use solid element operations to subtract from the wall using as the operator say a mesh extruded to make the negative of your panel profile. Creating a mesh for the negative of the panel is fast. The advantage of subtracting relative to adding stuff is that windows and doors won't get the standing seams running over them.

For my own use I edited SidingMaker, a window object that does pretty much that, to do Fabral metal panels. I thought about uploading it but the original SidingMaker code remains there, so I can't give it to non-SidingMaker-owners. SidingMaker can be bought from Objects Online.
__archiben
Booster
the cadimage tools 'accessory pack' has a great wall surfacing accessory:

http://www.cadimagetools.com/home.php?page=products&productID=168

it doesn't have as complete a range of metal sheet profiles as the roof surfacer does . . . all depends what you require exactly . . .

buying an add-on like this (provided that it does what you require) will undoubtedly be cheaper in the long run simply through the time you will save.

if you go down the route ignacio mentioned above (SEOs), there is a vertical profiled object sheet in the AC9 library that can be used to create most profile varieties. use this to subtract from your walls . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
I like your SEO with a mesh idea, Ignacio, unlike RevealMaker ($100 US)
you can cut the eave edge as well as the wall.
I tried this and was curious to see what the roof accessory was going
to do about the castilated eave of the roof created by the SEO.
Surprisingly, to me at least, the roof accessory detected the SEO
and made a castilated edge for the eave edge of the standing seam object.
There is, however, a problem. I inserted a window into the wall and
the Operator mesh cut through it as well. So maybe the TrussMaker
notion has some merit though I failed to mention that where windows
and doors occur one has to make one more TrussMaker object that
makes a standing seam from the roof to the window head and then
from the window sill to the bottom of the standing seam siding.
Peter Devlin
Peter wrote:
There is, however, a problem. I inserted a window into the wall and
the Operator mesh cut through it as well.
Argh, sorry about that. All the time I was thinking of receding the window, which works fine for quick&dirties but requires additional objects if you need trim for close up views or sections. The additive approach to the ribs requires some cutting, but does make the trim less of a mess.

I also messed up in my since-edited original post by writing Reveal Maker when I was actually thinking SidingMaker ($50), which is the one I modified to also make Fabral Grand Rib and Ultra-Rib. That was a very definite requirement for a very specific job in which the panel design was a critical issue, and I made both the roof accessories and the SidingMaker variation. The result was impressively realistic.

[I bought RevealMaker and SidingMaker with ArchiCAD 7, and I still think they are the coolest most powerful objects ever. They have a major impact on what you can do with pure clean 3D, and you can do that so fast. They should come with the AC standard library.]
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Ben, Peter & Ignacio,

Thank you very much for all you input....

The CadImage accessory may ultimately be of use but I believe an SEO of some description will most likely be needed....

Yes, I completely agree with the subtraction option to accommodate openings in the wall....

Thanks again for you help
Alan
Djordje
Virtuoso
Don't forget to try ArchiWall by Cigraph.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen