cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Roof-issues?

Kamelite
Advocate
Hi. I seem to have some trouble With roofs. I have created a complex roof, as seen in right part of the picture. However, I want gavels, not pitched. And it works fine to convert them, all the way to the right side of the main roof. At that point, half of my roof disappears. Regardless of when its done, first or last doesn't matter. What has happened?

I also tried to create the roof the hard way, creating three separate roofs, doing some boolean magic and make them look like I wanted. But when I Applied the Roof-maker-wizard, the result is as if I didn't boolean them, but rather as they are just Three separate roofs put together? What did I do wrong ( I can post a picture if needed). And the weird thing is, that if I rendered each of the Three roofs separatly, everything looked as it should...

?? Appreciate all help!

.Thag

Windows 8, Archicad 16

roof-after1.jpg
Windows 10, Archicad 27
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
That is not a particularly complex roof. It should not be too hard and there's no need for SEOs. Did you use the complex/multi roof tool? I'm not too familiar with that as I learned back when single pitches were the only way.

I assume you mean the you want to get rid of the hips and change them to gables. As separate pitches this is very simple. Just delete the hip part and stretch the peak nodes out to align with the corners of the eaves. If the roof is a single complex assembly I assume you would need to convert it to single pitches first. Perhaps someone with more experience with the "new" ways can explain a bit better.
Kamelite
Advocate
"Matthew Lohden" wrote:
That is not a particularly complex roof. It should not be too hard and there's no need for SEOs. Did you use the complex/multi roof tool? I'm not too familiar with that as I learned back when single pitches were the only way.

I assume you mean the you want to get rid of the hips and change them to gables. As separate pitches this is very simple. Just delete the hip part and stretch the peak nodes out to align with the corners of the eaves. If the roof is a single complex assembly I assume you would need to convert it to single pitches first. Perhaps someone with more experience with the "new" ways can explain a bit better.

When I said complex roof I ment that I used the complex roof tool. The Method you described worked great, thanx for the tip. But I'm still curious as to why the other Method didn't work out though...

Thanx for the tip!

.Thag
Windows 10, Archicad 27
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Thag:

Using Multi-Plane Roof, be sure you are clicking on the Roof Pivot Line for the part of the roof you want to convert from pitch to gable (sometimes this is easier in the 3D Window, the Pivot Lines appear when the roof is selected), and the Apply Changes to: is set to Clicked Plane in the Custom Plane Settings dialog box. If All Planes are set to gable, the roof appears to disappear, since all planes cannot be gable.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
rocorona
Booster
I was able to reproduce the error. At last it worked, but it really seems a bug. Please have a glance to this very short video: http://youtu.be/C0enoiA8Duo

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10
I think the issue is the extra node on the lower hip of the upper right roof. In Roberto's video you can see it at the beginning, it is in line with the ridge of the lower right roof. In plan this node cannot be moved to merge it with another node. A similar issue was discussed in this thread:
Complex Roof being a jerk
The extra node appears when there is a small return in the roof perimeter, it will appear if the left return is shortened similar to the one on the right. It looks like a bug in the way that ArchiCAD generates the roof nodes from the perimeter.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
rocorona
Booster
Yes, I noticed the extra dot and, and the other one that appears later (near the end of video, at 0'46''). They produce more problems, if you try to shift the whole ridge to the side, then try to drag it back. I can't get back a single straight ridge.
Thank for the link, David. So it seems absolutely the same issue... the roof plane that disappears is the one with two more roofs starting from it. But sometime, by chance, the roof works, like at the end of my video, where the result is correct.

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10
"rocorona" wrote:
Yes, I noticed the extra dot and, and the other one that appears later (near the end of video, at 0'46''). They produce more problems, if you try to shift the whole ridge to the side, then try to drag it back. I can't get back a single straight ridge.
Thank for the link, David. So it seems absolutely the same issue... the roof plane that disappears is the one with two more roofs starting from it. But sometime, by chance, the roof works, like at the end of my video, where the result is correct.

Thanx a lot for the help everyone. I did a quick workaround the problem, but it was nice to see that it wasn't just my lack of skills in Archicad that did it!
.Thag
Windows 10, Archicad 27
Marton Kiss
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Thank you guys for covering this topic. We would love to see why and how that extra point was created during the creation of the roof. If one of you could provide us with the steps that would be extremely helpful to locate the source of this.

You can either contact your local support team with that or just PM me and then we can discuss the details.

Thanks,
Marton
Marton Kiss
VP, Product Success
GRAPHISOFT
rocorona
Booster
If you watch my video, the first dot (on the right) is there from the beginning, when the whole roof was created with a click of Magic wand (from lines). Another one appears near the end of video, at 0:46'', editing the left gable.

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!