Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Rotating Wall Openings, Windows, Doors

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi.
I did a search and combed for related subjects (I.E. chamfering reveals, etc.), but nothing helps so far.

Yesterday I stumbled across, somehow, rotating a door or opening in a thick wall. One point was anchored, and I was able to grab and rotate the opening, to cut through the wall at different angles vs. the normal stock 90 degrees.

Anyone know how to do this a SHORT and EASY way to do the below?

1) Anchor Node 1
2) Move node 2 to arbitrary point to change door/window/opening angle in wall

Clicking any of the nodes on any of the objects I've tried (I've worked through half the international library in the last 2 hours) does nothing except FLIP the window or door opening. I've delved deep in the reveals, but usually there's no options for angles there (despite threads on the subjects-is this a library issue?)...
HOW do we anchor a side and then rotate the opening in a wall (for windows and doors as well if possible)...??? Is it possible to anchor a note on a x,y,z axis and drag the angle by grabbing another node? I don't need to resize the door/window/opening, just angle it at the base, either in 2D or 3D- wherever it is currently (or if it is) possible.

Thanks in advance.

p.s. I think how I did it was somehow the original wall was gone (deleted? Deleted in 3D window?) but the door was there when I made a new wall at a different angle; I was able to resize the door and it "cut through" the wall in 3D at a non-90 angle. I even had a tracker showing me the angle and planes as I rotated...Maybe because the door/window/opening was no longer "part" or tied into a wall anymore? Hmmm....

20.jpg
13 REPLIES 13
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
That's a really good point Barry, windows and doors can be rotated in polygonal walls. Maybe granny did in fact use a polygonal wall.

Otherwise, if a straight wall was used, keep in mind that the door doesn't have to be inside the wall as such, it can be well outside the physical bounds of the wall. The best way to see it with your own eyes is to select the door, show the selection in 3D, then in the arrow tool, hit ctrl/cmd+A. The info box should show 1 wall selected.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm still digging for the file, but I remember in a moment of frustration (remember I'm quite new) converting the wall to a poly so I could edit the corners (I didn't know how to clean the corners yet) and suddenly I had a bunch of options with the door at one point. I did accidentally resize it to "nothing" (still getting used to selecting nodes and was working faster than I am actually able, or rather, using key combos that don't quite work the way I thought they would- custom shortcuts from other apps I created for AC- *chuckle*) and I had just this door standing there when I checked it in 3d, with no wall anywhere "in sight" on either side no matter how much I zoomed down (like I said, I dragged it smaller than the door, so maybe it still existed on another part of the drawing as a "sliver" or something- but it wasn't there on either side of the door, even in 3d and certainly not in 2d)...so I made another wall and I was able to convert the door to an opening and rotate the way it "cut through" the new wall...

Yeah. Polywall gives more options with the openings, and harder to "clean the edges" (another issues I had in another post- looks like that was where I began to mess things up with cleaning junctions)....

So the code for openings and objects in walls requires an existing wall object it sounds like. That's good to know. Too soon for me to start GDL programming but that's in the future to customize my library...

Thanks for the input and help. I'll definitely post the wall file if I find it again... I'm praying I didn't delete the mess and move on just recreating things cleaner which is usually what I do if too many issues...

As I work and have issues or questions, I usually write them down for future research and education, and then find temp fixes as I can and continue on (I'm not used to such fast responses in software forums, or quick support and sharing of information). I am very impressed with the peer support on here and with the program. Thanks again for the help!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah.
Either I've got some GDL issues with custom doors and windows I DL off the internet, that rotate or don't or are seemingly independent of walls, or something is messed up. Perhaps they are attached to a HLM or something... who knows.

I'm editing a pln I have where the doors and windows can be rotated, even independently of the openings. It's kinda nice for angled polywalls.
someone wanted to see this stuff- as they said it wasn't possible.

Anyway, soon as I have time I'll edit this post with an attachment for the pln file. If I can find this thread again- (is there an easy way to find the threads we've made without doing a bunch of steps like 10 reloading the indexes plus searching our user names, AND not adding a shortcut to our favorites? Usually this type of forum has a setting where we can see the posts we're "contributing" on with one click at the main page... am I missing something? The fasted way to find "my" threads/posts is looking up my user name via the index; reloading until I get to the T's, scrolling a bunch, finding my name and then info and "find all posts by *****" and then I can find all my posts, but not all the threads I'm WATCHING... grrr)
TangoGrandma wrote:
If I can find this thread again- (is there an easy way to find the threads we've made without doing a bunch of steps like 10 reloading the indexes plus searching our user names, AND not adding a shortcut to our favorites? Usually this type of forum has a setting where we can see the posts we're "contributing" on with one click at the main page... am I missing something? The fasted way to find "my" threads/posts is looking up my user name via the index; reloading until I get to the T's, scrolling a bunch, finding my name and then info and "find all posts by *****" and then I can find all my posts, but not all the threads I'm WATCHING... grrr)
How about the "View your posts" link at the bottom of the home page. There's also "View posts since last visit" that I use all of the time...
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC27 US (5003) on Mac OS Ventura 13.6.2
Started on AC4.0 in 91/92/93; full-time user since AC8.1 in 2004