Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Running ArchiCAD on Virtual PC for Mac?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi -

I am an architectural student and am in the process of purchasing a Mac and ArchiCAD. I am a long time PC user and would like to run Windows on my Mac, thus I was considering purchasing Virtual PC for Mac, by Microsoft.

So here's my dilemma...
To operate ArchiCAD on my Mac, I need to be running either Windows or Mac OS. If I get Virtual PC, do I buy ArchiCAD for Windows? Or can I buy ArchiCAD for Mac? If I get ArchiCAD for Windows and run it through Virtual PC, does my Mac run any slower? Has anyone out there experienced this?

Or is the obvious thing to do is just get ArchiCAD for Mac, and get the Mac OS?

Any thoughts? Comments?

25 REPLIES 25
Virtual reality gloves are here already, and used with holographic images that appear on your desk. You can build the holographic model with out a computer screen. You do need special glasses. No. The pair you saved from the Captain Crunch box will not work. This is for real. I saw it demonstrated with a Mechanical design software package. As soon as we all get the fantastic monitors we want they will make them obsolete so we have to buy something new.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

stefan
Advisor
Aussie wrote:
i am not saying that there hasnt been some improvements but v9 has definately lost its "Mac" appearance. I dont find all those miniscule icons in the menu of any use what so ever.
I think this is a huge interface improvement! I hate Icons that I don't know what to do with. In a new program, I often start using the menu's, because the info is clearer and well organised and when the icons are displayed, I slowly learn the icons with the commands. It is a good way to visually learn them, while working.

So I don't agree
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Aussie John
Newcomer
But Stefan you are an Archicad PC user so I cant take your comments seriously
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
stefan
Advisor
Aussie wrote:
But Stefan you are an Archicad PC user so I cant take your comments seriously
IMHO this has even nothing to do with being a Mac or a PC-version...

Hey, what's wrong about running a PC? Do you drive an OPEL/Vauxhall? Does it matter?

----- no offense taken, in case you wondered
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Aussie John
Newcomer
if you look at the smiley it was intended to be a joke, but I guess my deeper point was if you dont use the mac interface then I think that makes it hard to comment (on the mac interface)
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
Aussie wrote:
i am not saying that there hasnt been some improvements but v9 has definately lost its "Mac" appearance. I dont find all those miniscule icons in the menu of any use what so ever.

I have been Mac user since the Mac SE but switched to a PC as my main work environment because I had to demonstrate ArchiCAD to potential ArchiCAD users on a PC to gain a wider credibility. I have a Mac on my desk that gets used mainly when providing technical support to my clients who are on Macs. I am very familiar with both platforms.

My opinion is that the Macintosh lost its "Mac" appearance with the introduction of OS X. I've been using ArchiCAD since Version 3.something. The Mac influence is still very much in evidence.

I also find that using a combination of Favorites, knowing keyboard commands, making use of contextual menus and pet pallets significantly reduces the "mousing around" and the amount of time spent in dialogue boxes.

When doing renderings I think you probably will spend lots of time in the dialog boxes tweaking colors, light and materials to get your desired effect. But if you find yourself spending a lot of time in dialog boxes in the course of creating your model and construction documents some training might be in order.

Woody