Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

SEO - incorrect surfaces

LukaS
Contributor

After performing SEO, exposed part of Target element shows surface which is set as Override Surface in Model section of Element Settings (either Operator or Target attribute), even if it is not enabled/turned on.

Is it not able to show surfaces of each material if Target is Composite Element?

Operating system used: Mac Intel-based Monterey 12.7.4

iMac 2019, macOS 12.7.4
AC 27 (Intel-based), 5003 INT
6 REPLIES 6
Barry Kelly

Did you choose this option in the SEO dialogue?

BarryKelly_0-1712210467080.png

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Yes.

Does this regardless of type of operation also. 

See attachment.

Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 08.06.52.png

iMac 2019, macOS 12.7.4

OK this is a bit complicated so bear with me.

Complex profile wall with beams used for Solid Element Operation.

Beams are in a different layer to the wall

Solid Element Operation  - subtraction with upward extrusion.

BarryKelly_0-1712213479812.png

Beam and wall layers have different intersection group numbers - i.e. the beams and wall will not trim automatically.

When set to 'use own attributes', the SEO does use the end surface material of the complex profile.

Whether the end override is on or off.

BarryKelly_1-1712213722729.png

Now the layers have the same intersection group numbers, so the automatic trimming does take place.

The beam (operator) has a building material that is weaker than some of the wall but stronger than other parts of the wall.

The strong parts of the wall automatically cut the weaker beam, so there is no beam to perform that part of the SEO - the wall has cut it away.

But the weaker parts of the wall are still cut (because that part of the beam is still there).

It still seems to use the wall end surface for all cut surfaces.

BarryKelly_2-1712214060331.png

Now the beam building material is stronger than all of the building materials used in the wall.

The automatic trim takes place and the wall cut surfaces there use the actual wall wall building materials.

The SEO is still in place but now only cuts the portion of wall above the beam - the part where the beam is is being automatically trimmed - no need for SEO.

The portion being cut by the SEO is still using the wall end surface material.

So, SEO will use the end surface materials (whether override is on or off).

If you want to see the actual materials, don't use SEO.

Use the automatic trimming of elements.

They must be in layers that have the same intersection priority number and the stronger building materials will cut the weaker ones.

Use a beam with a very strong building material and place it in a layer that you can turn off - the automatic trimming will still happen.

You just have to make the beam (or slab, or wall - you can use any elements that automatically trim each other) the size of the hole you want to cut.

Another option of course is to use the opening tool.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Hi Barry,

thanks for the thorough response.

Is it not so straightforward in my case though.

Operator element is section profile (Beam) of a trench I want to show as demolition volume in a road, which is designed with Complex profiled curved beam.

If I don't use SEO, it wont't show an empty trench in "new" phase after setting renovation status of Operator as "to demolish".

There might me a workaround duplicating Operator element with strong material, making "SEO one" slightly smaller and putting other one on hidden layer. First one would show volume to demolish (using SEO), the other (hidden with "existing" renovation status) would show empty trench with proper layers of composite.

It would not be accurate and is prone to mistakes, so I am still looking for better solution to SEO deficiency.

iMac 2019, macOS 12.7.4

If both are beams, then you shouldn't need SEO at all.

So long as the beam doing the cutting has building materials stronger than the road beam, then it will automatically trim the road.

BarryKelly_0-1712218255225.png

You can see here the concrete in my footing beam is stronger than the other beam, but the bit of brickwork above is weaker and does not cut.

No SEO here at all.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

It will, until I put it on "to demolish" renovation filter to show an empty trench. Once it's gone, there is no more cutting.

But you got me thinking; I could colour beam on hidden layer with high priority in red and only show this layer in "to demolish" stage. Then in stage "after demolition", there would be and empty trench still (with operator beam hidden, but on Existing renovation filter).

All this to show composite materials in 3d 🙂

iMac 2019, macOS 12.7.4