Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

SEO with DOWNWARDS extrusion doesn't extrude all

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey.
I've found Solid Element Operations very handy to make elements "fit together". However, I've recently had some problems with the downwards extrusion option available.

When using a sloping ramp as an operator and a wall as the target, the idea is to trim either the head (with upwards extrusion) or the base (with downwards extrusion) of the wall to match the slope of the ramp.

Upwards works excellently, but with downwards some weird problems occur. The base of the wall is trimmed, but only for a certain height - then it reappears!

This leaves a wall in two pieces (though technically the same wall) with a sloping slice through it. Very annoying and utterly useless for my purpose.

If required, I'm happy to post a screenshot later.
Thanks for all and any help!
6 REPLIES 6
Karl Ottenstein
Screenshot would help us. I've not had a problem like you describe.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey, Kari. Thanks for your quick reply!
Screenshot is attached where you can see how the wall is not extruded correctly.

Another strange thing, is its reaction if I elevate only the wall above a certain threshold in relation to the wall - the SEO then behaves more like a simple substraction without any extrusion downwards.

Thanks again!

Edit: sorry, forgot the attachment
SEO-problem.png
Anonymous
Not applicable
I can't reproduce the problem either. What object are you using to form the ramp; a library part, or a complex profile applied to a beam? Is there anything else on hidden layers that could be causing the effect?

I presume you've tried selecting the ramp and clicking the 'Cancel Operations of Selected Elements on all Targets' button, and then redoing the SEO?
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Don't know that I can reproduce this exactly either, but I can tell you that there is "funny behavior" with SEO's.. I have experienced similar incorrect cutting AND the inability to CANCLE SEO's... had to re create the pieces and try again, where in some cases, it worked like I expected...
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Anonymous
Not applicable
That is strange. I've used the stair tool > Create stair, and selected ramp from the tab. Cannot think anything that would be causing the problem, as I've reproduced it several times after cancelling and with other walls.

I guess SEOs can be a bit troublesome some times, but I've found a workaround I can use by making the wall start way below ground - thereby the untrimmed bit is too low to be of any trouble.

Btw, i'm using educational ArchiCAD 14 on a mac with snow leopard, if that matters at all.

Is there any other way of making a trapezoidal wall?

Cheers for all answers.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I can confirm that something strange occurs when using a stairmaker ramp and downwards extrusion. The image below is in AC13.

As a workaround, try using a piece of roof angled to the same pitch as the ramp to trim the wall. You can put this on a different layer and turn it off to hide it. You could even use a rectangular piece of roof instead of a ramp altogether depending on what you need!
Ramp_SEO_downwards1.jpg