cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Seeking sustainable BIM project case study for publication

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am completing a book on sustainable architecture designed within a BIM workflow, focusing particularly on skin-load dominated buildings (i.e, smaller projects than those often associated with BIM). The book will be published by Wiley next year. I am concluding each of my chapters (e.g., Massing Analysis, Passive Cooling, Passive Heating, etc.) with an approximately 500-word case study of a notable project. I intend the case study projects to concretely demonstrate the use of the quantitative analysis potential of BIM to support design decisions for high-performance architecture.

I'm specifically looking for architects who employ the quantitative analysis opportunities in BIM to design skin-load dominated sustainable buildings for better performance, firms that are to some degree using the "I" in BIM coupled with building geometry to make informed design decisions. This typically involves applying in schematic design or early design development some or several performance design guidelines that have been around since the 1980s, and/or sharing the BIM file with subconsultants (energy modelers, etc.) late in design development or construction documentation. The later is commonly done but by then it's often too late to make meaningful design changes; the former is less common and the emphasis of my book. The subtext is that building performance can be a form-giver for climate-dominated architecture.

If you or your firm is interested in contributing a project for a case study, whether or not it was designed with EcoDesigner, please message me or email me offline(fjlevy AT mail DOT utexas DOT edu). I would prefer heretofore unpublished projects, preferably under approximately 20,000 square feet/2 000 square meters. I am particularly interested in case studies for these topics:

Innovative software use
Passive Cooling
Passive Heating
Building Hydrology

I regret that I am on a rather tight deadline, and need to move very quickly. Images should be of sufficiently high resolution (minimum 1500 pixels wide, TIFF format) for publication. Interior artwork will be in black and white, but color images should be sent in color (the publisher will convert them to gray scale).

François Lévy, Architect and Lecturer
M.Arch, MSE
School of Architecture
The University of Texas at Austin
Austin, Texas, USA
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
I designed a certified Passive House™ project with ArchiCAD. You can find more info at www.passivehouseinthewoods.com. It's residential, so I am not sure if it fits the bill.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not sure who would be best to talk to, but the recently built Melbourne convention centre was built using BIM (ArchiCAD) & is very green!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for pointing out the Melbourne Convention Center. Unfortunately, it doesn't really meet my criteria (small, skin-load dominated project).
Anonymous
Not applicable
Haha sorry, I missed that bit! (just saw the model for it recently, so was on my mind!)
Francois wrote:
Thanks for pointing out the Melbourne Convention Center. Unfortunately, it doesn't really meet my criteria (small, skin-load dominated project).