cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Selection set changes

KeesW
Advocate
One of my pet AC hates is the process of changing features in selection sets. I want to change all of my arrow sizes in labels to 1 mm (from 1.5 mm). Select label tool, select all reveals all of my labels. Changing my arrow heads to 1.0 mm and saying OK should change them all - but it doesn't. Why not????

Edit Settings isn't clever enough to go down to that detail.

This happens with lots of common functions e.g. when 2D shapes comprise lines with rounded corners, selecting all lines doesn't select the corners. Just unnecessary tedium allowed to continue by careless, or unaware, Graphisoft programmers. Am I being unreasonable?

Why is editing a selection set necessary anyway? If a users selects the tool and then selects ALL, shouldn't Archicad respect his wishes and just do it?
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
KeesW wrote:
This happens with lots of common functions e.g. when 2D shapes comprise lines with rounded corners, selecting all lines doesn't select the corners. Just unnecessary tedium allowed to continue by careless, or unaware, Graphisoft programmers. Am I being unreasonable?
"Rounded Corners" of lines are arcs/circles, so using the line tool and select all will not select arcs. This is not careless, unaware programmers, but unaware designers.

I do not know why selecting all labels and changing a setting does not change the settings of all selected labels. Are they locked? In your workspace (if in teamwork)?
KeesW
Advocate
Thanks Steven - there is more frustration than unawareness. Autocad (if I remember correctly) does not distinguish between arcs and lines when it comes to selecting ALL and this is much more convenient. Yet Archicad users often bag this as an inferior product. It is in many respects, but for ease of drafting it might not be.

None of the conditions you mention that stop my ALL selection working apply here and I don't know why it doesn't work. It still don't know why Archicad has an edit selection set tool, except to create defaults.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
Anonymous
Not applicable
KeesW wrote:
Why is editing a selection set necessary anyway?
If I'm following you correctly, you are referring to the setting in the attached picture. This is useful for the following: lets say you have some lines, arcs, text objects, etc. and you want to change things like the layer, lineweight, line type, pen, etc. of multiple tools all at once, you can do it with the "Edit Selection Set".

This would work when you have your lines and arcs, you can change settings of multiple tools with one click. It is very useful.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Fine if you want to change the colour or the layer.

But what if you want to change the linetype, the arrowheads etc. etc.?

I've often wondered why 'Edit Selection Set' provides so few options.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh yes, I misspoke. It does not change line type. This is not ideal!