Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Site Plan- Meets and Bounds

Anonymous
Not applicable
How do you enter meets and bounds for site plan? I have a hand drawn survey and want to enter it into AC9.
28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Jess,

Sorry, I was unclear.

When you have picked the first endpoint of your boundary, move your cursor in the direction of North (this does not set north, you must know where North is!). By entering "A 45- ENTER" you are saying you want to go 45degrees anti-clockwise (as angles are normally measured clockwise by AC, but anti-clockwise in the real world).

Not sure about your angle co-ordinates. If I check Surveyors Units or Degrees, minutes, seconds I get the same thing here.

Does this make more sense?
Anonymous
Not applicable
So-

If my North Arrow Points 45°

And I have this :

S 9° 04' 24" E and a distance of 150.22'

I am going to set my cursor at 45°
Type -9° for my Angle
Type 150.22' For my Distance

And I dont have to do anything with the South, East, 04', or 24"

And when I do this I leave my Angle Units at default, just degrees or what ever they are I mean?

If I am not correct here agin, Pardon, I Feel like I am reading Chineese here for some reason.
I did one of tehse a couple months ago and it went fine, I dont knwo what my problem is.
~~Thanks~~
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jesikuh123 wrote:
So-

If my North Arrow Points 45°

And I have this :

I am going to set my cursor at 45°
Type -9° for my Angle
After starting the line move your cursor in direction of north, in your case 45°, hit "A" input the angle, hit the MINUS key, then hit enter.
Jesikuh123 wrote:
Type 150.22' For my Distance

And I dont have to do anything with the South, East, 04', or 24"

And when I do this I leave my Angle Units at default, just degrees or what ever they are I mean?

If I am not correct here agin, Pardon, I Feel like I am reading Chineese here for some reason.
Must be my accent

Not sure what S 9° 04' 24" E means. You may need to rely on advice from someone who speaks the same survey language. The way we show boundaries here is just an angle relative to north, north being 0°. Can you give me a diagram of what your co-ordinate means?
angle.jpg
Karl Ottenstein
Jesikuh123 wrote:
And I have this :

It's really easy. With the tracker on, and the proper preferences for angles set up, you simply start typing:

150.22 [distance entry]
tab-key [to get into angle entry]
S 9 04 24 E
enter-key

This will indeed be relative to project north, and you now know how to set that in the Sun Settings dialog.

Karl
survey-prefs.gif
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
Tracker appearance in this screenshot (garbage values).
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just keep in mind that "S 24 13 55 E" is the same as "N 24 13 55 W" only in the opposite direction. Some surveyors aren't very particular about this and I have seen drawings where the orientations are not consistent. I once entered a whole string of metes and bounds (which even closed nicely) and discovered north was 180° from where it was supposed to be.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Karl & Matthew for chiming in. And stuart for all the time you always spend helping other here.

S 9d 04' 24" E Means that the lines orientation is east of South (or West of North as Matthew stated, you need to know the close to north direction) 9-degrees, 4 minutes and 24 seconds. As most know there are 360 degrees in a circle. there are 60 minutes in a degree and 60 seconds in a minute.

I set my project north in the sun angle and then enter my data similar to Karl. I di not know that spaces worked, I had been typing S9d4'24"E.
Pete
Newcomer
Not only do spaces work, but if there are zeros, you can skip them, ie. n40 30w works if seconds are 0.

Karl showed the setting for surveyor angle units. It is also helpful to change the distance units to decimal feet with 2 decimal places ie. 123.45' so you can easily check your work (entering 123.45 still works if units are fractional however).
Pete Read
ArchiCAD 12; Artlantis Studio 2
MacBook Pro 2.4 Core2Duo, 2GB, OSX(10.5) and XPpro(SP3)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jay wrote:
S 9d 04' 24" E Means that the lines orientation is east of South (or West of North as Matthew stated, you need to know the close to north direction) 9-degrees, 4 minutes and 24 seconds. As most know there are 360 degrees in a circle. there are 60 minutes in a degree and 60 seconds in a minute.
Thanks, Jay (and Matthew) for the explanation.

I'm glad, though, that we just show everything relative to north (eg. 270degrees = west). You're all mad, you lot, with your crazy imperial dimensions and "east of south" bearings. Do you think America will ever go metric?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Woe.
So after all that, and thank you so much, I tried everything you guys said.

If I have my survey rotated so that it sits correctly with the way I want my building on my screen to draw it, it sets North at 280.78°.

So thats fine, its upside down basically.

So I put my Project North at that angle in my sun settings.
- Is that supposed to relate to entering my meest and bounds? Or just for rendering purposes?

Once I have done that, the property lines go different directions.
I have a line that is supposed to be
N 82° 04' 01" W
when I type that in it does not go in that direction.
When I line my line up over hwere it should be headed it says it is at about
S 82° 04' 01" W
So....

After all this, I have discovered how I made this all work the last time I did it a couple months ago.
And that is to rotate my survey so that the North arrow points to 90°.
If I do this, then all my directionals go in the correct direction, and the site closes like it is supposed to.
Then I just have to rotate it to sit where it should according to the building.

So, I guess I am back to my original question, which is: Is this right?
It doesn't sound like this is what you guys have to do.
What else could I be doing wrong?
I can work with this, and the rotating or what ever. But, if there is a right way to do something, and a not right way, I should probably learn the right way.

Also, an engineer is sending us a digital file, so I dont need to do this anyway, I guess. But, now IT IS DRVING ME CRAZY AND I WANT TO KNOW HOW!