Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Site Plan- Meets and Bounds

Anonymous
Not applicable
How do you enter meets and bounds for site plan? I have a hand drawn survey and want to enter it into AC9.
28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jesikuh123 wrote:
Woe.
After all this, I have discovered how I made this all work the last time I did it a couple months ago.
And that is to rotate my survey so that the North arrow points to 90°.
If I do this, then all my directionals go in the correct direction, and the site closes like it is supposed to.
Then I just have to rotate it to sit where it should according to the building.
You can do it either way, but by setting north in the Sun Setting's Dialog Box to the preferred direction first, you will save the step of rotating afterward.

I agree with an earlier comment, that perhaps the surveyor was not consistent with his labeling direction and that's where the confusion is coming from.

Notice after you lock an angle in by pressing 'Alt-A' after it is entered, you can move the mouse to the left and right of the line's starting point and the tracker will switch from SofE to NofW (or opposite basically of each other).

knowing that, you can correct as you go, so long as you have a diagram of the boundaries to refer to.

Now, if someone has a good system for figuring out the meets and bounds for a site that has multiple arc lengths and radii provided, I'd love to hear it. (a site w/ one arc length and radius is no problem - i can work my way around from the beginning and end of the arc and add the radius after.)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dom wrote:

Now, if someone has a good system for figuring out the meets and bounds for a site that has multiple arc lengths and radii provided, I'd love to hear it. (a site w/ one arc length and radius is no problem - i can work my way around from the beginning and end of the arc and add the radius after.)
Often, but not always, the arcs are defined on the map with a bearing (Meet & Bounds). This bearing is used for defining the Chord (straight line between two end points) of the Arc. Also often you will see a Bearing with "(R)" no quotes before or after it. this means that this line is also a Radial of an Arc.

I can not say that I have all the answers but if you want to send me a site with such multiple arcs, I may be able to help you through it.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jay wrote:

Often, but not always, the arcs are defined on the map with a bearing (Meet & Bounds). This bearing is used for defining the Chord (straight line between two end points) of the Arc. Also often you will see a Bearing with "(R)" no quotes before or after it. this means that this line is also a Radial of an Arc.

I can not say that I have all the answers but if you want to send me a site with such multiple arcs, I may be able to help you through it.
I'm not struggling with any particular site at the moment, but the thought came up as a result of this discussion. Typically, on a survey, I'm provided with a note like '(76.11' R:148.15')' to define the curved segment of the property line. When I measure the CAD file provided I note that the distance given is longer than than the chord directly connecting the beginning and ending points of the arc - I therefore assumed it was the 'arc length' or distance as measured along the path of the arc.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dom wrote:
I therefore assumed it was the 'arc length' or distance as measured along the path of the arc.
This is true. LC or length of the arc.

I good Check is if you are also given the Delta (or I for interior angle of the curve segment) is the following formula:

LC = R * (I in radians) = R * (I in degrees) * (2 * Pi /360)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank You Jay, for your extensive hour long help session.

I tried another computer out here in the office, and opened the coordinate box, and opened the tracker.

What I realized was that the first angle and distance that was put in was the same in tracker and coordinate box.

Then the second and every angle after that, was off.

So I had a thought*
and I went and unchecked the "relative coordinates" option in my tracker settings, and voila, now it works.... after all that.
So, thanks again, lovely how big this thread got, should help alot of people out if they search for it.

Problem solved.....unitl next time.

* imagine that.

oh, and I did have questions on the radius and, delta and stuff too, I will read what you guys have said so far.

And for eveyone else- Like Jay said on the phone, I am not as dense as these posts seem me to be, there WAS something wrong, and not with me.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jesikuh123 wrote:
So I had a thought*
and I went and unchecked the "relative coordinates" option in my tracker settings, and voila, now it works.... after all that.
While I am here:

Do I want Relative Coordinates on or off?
I assume off, cause I seem to be getting what I want.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes it makes since now.... Kind of. It would seem that with your Work Environment set to use relative angle measurements that the Angle would be that displayed angle would be the same in the coordinate box and the tracker. But it seems that the Use Relative angle measurements check box effects the Tracker and not the coordinate box angle display and input. All inputs to the coordinate box are Non-relative irregardless of the WE setting, so you could still leave the "use relative angle measurement" checked in the WE, but use the coordinate box to enter your Meets & Bounds.

For what it is worth, I have the "use relative angle measurement" un-checked.
Anonymous
Not applicable
ok, I read these posts a couple of times and I understand some time has passed, but I really want to scream at my computer. Secondly, I will start a line and hold it in the NE quadrant, and it shows NE, but it does the same in every other quadrant too! WTH! I have come to the conclusion that archicad is useless in regards to surveying....are NE and SE supposed to be the same thing? ArchiCAD seems to think so.....and yes imperial units....
Anonymous
Not applicable
Shae wrote:
ok, I read these posts a couple of times and I understand some time has passed, but I really want to scream at my computer. Secondly, I will start a line and hold it in the NE quadrant, and it shows NE, but it does the same in every other quadrant too! WTH! I have come to the conclusion that archicad is useless in regards to surveying....are NE and SE supposed to be the same thing? ArchiCAD seems to think so.....and yes imperial units....
The only problem I have ever had with using surveyors unit in ArchiCAD was when I input the dimensions the wrong way around (NE for SW etc). I figured out my mistake when I went to set the sun angle and realized it was upside down. The simple fixe was just to rotate the whole model 180°.

That said, I haven't tried it in 15 yet and the coordinates palette is acting a bit strangely in 3D so perhaps there is a bug.

NE and SE are not the same (they are at 90° to each other) but NE and SW are the same angle only different directions (vectors).