Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Site modelling- Retaining walls

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am wondering if anyone has a better way to model site retaining walls. I currently just create a series of nodes, or a contour line (depending on the conditions) to define the terrain on either side of the wall, then use SEO operations to take the mesh out of the wall itself, it works, but is very tedious when the wall is running parallel to the slope. Is there a better method? I am currently working on a house on a hillside lot which slopes up from the street, the driveway cuts into the hill and slopes down with grass landscaping on either side, then the retaining walls. I bought ArchiTerra a little while back but have not really learned how to use it yet, so I'm not sure if there are any tools there to address this. I am open to any and all ideas! Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Djordje
Ace
Scott wrote:
I am wondering if anyone has a better way to model site retaining walls. I currently just create a series of nodes, or a contour line (depending on the conditions) to define the terrain on either side of the wall, then use SEO operations to take the mesh out of the wall itself, it works, but is very tedious when the wall is running parallel to the slope. Is there a better method? I am currently working on a house on a hillside lot which slopes up from the street, the driveway cuts into the hill and slopes down with grass landscaping on either side, then the retaining walls. I bought ArchiTerra a little while back but have not really learned how to use it yet, so I'm not sure if there are any tools there to address this. I am open to any and all ideas! Thanks
Did you try ArchiTerra?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have played with it a little bit, just looking for any tips though from experienced people, the documentation doesn't really seem to cover this situation. I was trying to create the desire land shape using the plateau feature, but I have been unsuccessful in getting the result I want. Probably just because I don't yet know how to use the tools properly. Any advice? I can still do it my old way, just always looking for something better!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Scott,
You say "but is very tedious when the wall is running parallel to the slope"
How is it more tedious than any other retaining wall condition ?
Do you keep the elevation of the points on each contour equal
when you model the mesh at the point where it meets the wall ?

I use walls or slabs for retaining walls.
I stack the contour lines close together towards the uphill surface
of the wall. This is as close to the real condition as the mesh tool
will allow. It works well for me.

Why do you use SEO ?
If the material of the mesh is different than the wall then it
looks fine in section and in 3D you make a special contour line
that follows the line of intersection of the wall with the mesh.

Thank you,
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Walls that run parallel with the slope(perpendicular to the contours) are more tedious because I can't draw my contour and then apply one elevation to all points the way I can when the wall is perpendicular to the slope (parallel with the countours). I have to go through and define a different elevation for each individual point

It sounds like our methods are pretty much the same, only I put the uphill contour on one side of my wall, and the downhill on the other, and SEO out the area through the wall, just makes it easier for me to pick the right node when I am editing the mesh later on.

I just didn't know if there is an easier wall, like maybe architerra has some special tools for this situation?
Anonymous
Not applicable
When making "cuts" with ArchiTerra for retaining walls, I have been using the Plateau Tool with the Digging Slope set to the Maximum 89.9°. This has worked good for defining the Finished grades.

I must say that I Do Not show the ArchiTerra Mesh (Or any other Mesh) in my Section views (Cross-section or Elevations). The Mesh is modified and placed on a layer that is usually Hidden. In the Section view I temporarily display the Mesh And Draw a Fill over the top. "bring-to-front" the fill pattern. Remember to also Bring-to-front any annotation and labels that are "over" the fill. My Retaining walls are also Fill patterns over the top of the modeled Walls. I do not model the footings at this point.

I also have a ArchiTerra mesh that is Not modified. This mesh is also on a hidden layer and is temporarily shown in order to draw an "Existing Grade" line.

While the Fills are not automatically updated upon Site or Retaining wall Changes, they are easy to modify. Mostly all the site design is done before the filles are placed anyway.

Retaining Wall -1 (attached image) shows that Mesh and walls with no Fills.

Retaining Wall -2 (See Next Message) show Section without Mesh and "terrain" Fill and "Retaining Wall" Fill shown.
Retaining Wall -1.JPG
Anonymous
Not applicable
Section with Fills.