Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Sloping Profiler

Scott Bulmer
Booster
I seem to have forgotten how to make a sloping profile. Can someone please advise me before I kill myself.
Thanks, as usual.
Scott

Axo 2B.jpg
AC27 v. 4060 w/ MEP, Cadimage, Twinmotion 2023.2.2 using AC from AC6.0, 2021 MacPro M1 chip, Adobe CC. Used AC on both platforms.
60 REPLIES 60
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Peter wrote:
...it looks like in the part of your image labeled 3D the eave molding has a level top and is not rotated. Does this mean that after you have created the rake profile by viewing the miter cut edge at the angle of the roof pitch you rotate the eave molding back to level ?
Yes, that's right. In fact, I just used a copy of the eaves molding to rotate and then deleted it when finished. The eaves stayed on the level. It's really quick and easy to produce the raked profile this way.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Ralph,
I am impressed. Thank you for explaining how to generate
the rake profile. It is easier than the projection method.

Does Objective rotate and split any element including AC tool
elements as well as objects ?

Thank you,
Peter Devlin
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Peter wrote:
I am impressed. Thank you for explaining how to generate the rake profile. It is easier than the projection method.

Does Objective rotate and split any element including AC tool
elements as well as objects ?
No - standard ArchiCAD elements (e.g. wall, slab, etc) lack the internal data structures to support these operations. Even rotatable elements like roofs and beams can't really be freely orientated in 3D because they can't ever be tilted to the vertical.

We're close to releasing a (free) update which will make it easy to construct objects from element selections which can be rotated and split - just striving to make this as seamless for the user as possible.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Ralph. It has been great talking to you.
Peter Devlin
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
In ArchiCAD 15, the Shell Tool can now handle such situations:

http://www.archicadwiki.com/GableProfileWithShell
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ralph wrote:
  • 1) Use the Split tool to cut the connecting edge of the molding on the level
    2) Use the Rotate tool to tilt the profile back by the angle of the connecting molding.
    3) Place a section/elevation looking at the exposed end of the molding.
    4) What you see in the section is what the profile of the level molding will look like along the path of the molding on the incline. You can get a Fill to make a new profile from this by copy/pasting it to the floor plan.
Ralph,

I'm trying to create a rake molding to match my eave molding by your instructions. Where are you doing these operations? From this post it seems like there's a plan view and a section view? I've created the eave with a complex profile as a beam. My problem is you can't split a beam at an angle, correct? Please help!

Thank you.
profile_319.jpg
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Steven wrote:
Ralph wrote:
  • 1) Use the Split tool to cut the connecting edge of the molding on the level
  • I'm trying to create a rake molding to match my eave molding by your instructions. My problem is you can't split a beam at an angle, correct? Please help! Are you trying to split an ArchiCAD beam? If so, you are right - ArchiCAD has no tools to do this. I created, split, and rotated the object with OBJECTiVE, an ArchiCAD add-on.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ah - gotcha. For $300.00 I might have to try Peter's way.....
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter wrote:
I finally got around to experimenting with complex profiles
to model a raking molding mitered to a eave molding.
Using the construction method for drawing the profile
of a raking molding described in Architectural Graphic Standards
classical orders and detail. It worked out quite well. see attached.
Peter Devlin
Peter,

A couple questions on your method.

1. I assume you are using a beam for the profiles?

2. How are you doing the SEO's for the plumb miter cut? Are you using hidden elements to cut the edge of the beams? I try to do an intersect command on them and all hell breaks loose.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Steven,
As stated in the graphic, the rake molding and the eave molding
are complex profile beams.
The SEOs are done with two slabs as hidden operators,
one for each molding to create the mitered end.
BTW the image is a .jpg and if you click anywhere in the image
it will open in a new browser window and can be dragged and dropped
on to the desk top and can be opened with Preview and is large enough
to see clearly and the text is readable.
Peter Devlin