Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Stacking or complex wall

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is it best to stack differant type walls or use the complex wall tool to get differant wall materials on the elevation of the walls? I am wondering what the differance will be in the data base and the flexibility of the wall after it has been made/built?
17 REPLIES 17
Dwight
Newcomer
This is a complex situation since it affects productivity and editing ease.

How many variations do you expect?

Complex walls are easy to adapt and edit on their own, but:

If you lay down one complex wall, each variation of that wall will require another complex wall profile. If you gather several similar wall profiles, each will need separate editing. This can become tedious and confusing.

If you separate the walls into separate elements, then you must be careful to use separate layers for each type to simplify later selection, since overlapping walls and the height of the plan section cut can make wall elements invisible in plan if they occur above the cut. Be sure to use symbolic representation.

As far as data/quantities, you face a complex bit of clerking no matter what approach you take.

Without seeing your project challenge firsthand, I'd be inclined to solve this with individual complex profiles for each situation, using a line matrix [lines don't show in the section] in each complex profile window to keep track of level changes and such.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
"Dwight" wrote:
This is a complex situation since it affects productivity and editing ease.

How many variations do you expect?

I decided to use stacked composite walls, it would be nice if i could select them in elevation for the plan view! I have run into another problem placing windows in the stacked wall means that i have had to stop the upper wall at the window then start the same composite over the top of the window. This is kinda nuts!

Thanks for your help.
Dwight
Newcomer
It seems to me, unless i misunderstand, that you have made the wrong decision.

It should be the single complex profile with the different materials contained in each.

With only four variations, i suggest that you use an external view to manage variations within the four complex profiles.

I make an independent view where the four wall sections can be drawn adjacent to one another. You then use the marquee to adjust vertical heights and replace fills with the edited version as the design develops. This is useful in coordinating adjacent, similar complex profiles that must line up.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, i just felt more comfortable with composites but if i use the profile tool more maybe i will get more comfortable.

Another problem: When i use the line tool and go to select different line the display for line selection runs across my rather ample screen when it just needs to run a display a couple inches long! Is this a setting that i can change?
Dwight
Newcomer
The complex profile is very powerful and can represent many materials in elevation and perspective [as assigned] to separate fills within the profile.

Composite walls can't do that.

Send a screen shot of your line selection display problem.
Dwight Atkinson
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Another good point about using this method is that it uses just one element (eg. a wall). A barrel vault roof uses multiple roofs and the smoother the curve you want, the more roofs need to be used. This means that when the texture is applied to the roofs, they tile themselves and look terrible.

The texture applied to the one complex is generally more accurate. Same with the hatching obviously.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
"The complex profile is very powerful and can represent many materials in elevation and perspective [as assigned] to separate fills within the profile"

Dwight - You're right it is and it can but a major failing is that when an opening is formed in such a wall the material to the reveals does not reflect the elevational treatment.

I have spent a very frustrating few days creating a model where the windows are recessed into a wall and 'span' three materials but the reveal adopts only one of them - if anybody can give me a workaround for this I would be eternally grateful!
Karl Ottenstein
troakie wrote:
I have spent a very frustrating few days creating a model where the windows are recessed into a wall and 'span' three materials but the reveal adopts only one of them - if anybody can give me a workaround for this I would be eternally grateful!
I can't. Complex profiles provide a HUGE amount of productivity to ArchiCAD users. But, they have the INFURIATING and stupid limitation that the wall (e.g.) ends are assigned a single material (for renders; fill/hatch for line drawings), regardless of the number of skins/etc. It drives me insane...

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
OK i am using the complex profile for a wall. Everything seems to work until i went to place the origin to place my wall reference line. It does not go where i put it on the profile of the wall. In other words the origin placement and the reference line do not match. This drives me crazy!!! Is this normal??