Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Stair problem again!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everyone!
Happy New Year!!
I have a stair problem again.
I attach a picture for this strange stair.
If anyone can tell me what is going wrong...
thank you
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
Wendy,

Your travel line is not allowed. In other words you have one tread actually
takes you to a drop off, then the next tread is not as wide and thus creates
the problem. I'm guessing you ran out of room to make this stair work.
Please forgive me if I presume to much, but does your code allow
this multiple of straight, landing and winders? In any
case, according to stair gurus, that is a confusing rhythm for users.
On winders, not a good idea to terminate in a perfect triangle shape,
regardless of code. Most people travel a stair on the inside rail
(the shortest distance). So allow for a footstep on this narrowest portion. Locally we provide 6" (15cm) but more is better.
Snap
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you really must build this stair (perhaps it is an existing condition) you probably will have to build it out of bits. The simplest way would to use slabs for the treads and carriage. You can use the treads as SEO operators to shape the top of the carriage. The bottom looks like it will be rather tricky. Subtracting a mesh from the bottom might be best. Good luck.
Erika Epstein
Booster
Or you can build each section of risers as separate stairs.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
get yourself Revit (i was thinking that i will never write this)
but as i look what you can do there in Revit--- archicad is way behind . . .If next archicad ver dont get modeling tools i will go to Revit...
That Revit stair is just as useless as any other stair generated with a “stair tool”. If you want to model a stair for use with working drawings or a material list, model it yourself.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Steve wrote:
That Revit stair is just as useless as any other stair generated with a “stair tool”. If you want to model a stair for use with working drawings or a material list, model it yourself.
yes you are right, i really need modeling tools in archicad cos i dont have it right now...and its hard and slow to model in archicad. (some stuff)
Anonymous
Not applicable
NeckoFromSarajevo wrote:
get yourself Revit (i was thinking that i will never write this)
but as i look what you can do there in Revit--- archicad is way behind . . .If next archicad ver dont get modeling tools i will go to Revit...
did you really test Revit stair?
I did
Just a dummy U shape concrete stair
even that was bad
I am also not that happy with our stairs but why advertise for another product that is not better (for stairs)?
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Steve wrote:
I agree. Stair tools are great for off-the-shelf situations, but you run into problems the moment you want bespoke detailing. Stairs can be surprisingly complex, and often building them from scratch will be faster and more useful for detailing/scheduling/manufacture than using a semi-automated solution.

I've attached a few examples of stairs (and stair components) I've modelled in the past within ArchiCAD, some of which were directly used for manufacture.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems