Due to a scheduled maintenance, a maximum 20 minutes license delivery outage may be expected on July 6 2024 (Saturday) between 6PM to 8PM (CEST).
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Stairs

Zdenko
Advocate

hi barry - could not reply back to the solution that i accepted but it did not work and have included a video.

Operating system used: Mac Intel-based Sonoma 14.4.1

Archicad 27 (3001 USA Full Intel Based MAC)
Sonoma 14.4.1
5 REPLIES 5
AllanP
Advocate

Archicad wont bend maths for you...

AllanP_1-1720053507912.png

7 3/4" by 16 gives you 10' 4"

remember, multiples of the riser value

I have been using ArchiCAD continually since ArchiCAD 4.5, 4.5.5, 5, 5.1, 6, 6.5, 7, 8, 8.1, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18, 21, 22, 25, now testing 27
Member of Architalk since 2003, but missed the migration to Graphisoft.
(where have all my original posts gone?)

thanks for the math lesson AllanP and my slide ruler must have malfunctioned 😀 regardless the initial post was to get AC27 to allow me to key-in 7-3/4". i tried to replicate by not using the "linked" feature and it was suggested to also use the "flexible" option. the latter did not show as an option. quick fyi, i can and have bent math in the field plenty of times. we call it "field fit"? here is the original thread.

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Modeling/Stairs/m-p/613767#M172506

ps. i was grateful for the response from Barry but did not test it before i accepted the solution, hence the repeat thread...

Sonoma 14.4.1

A stair with top linked to a storey will automatically set the overall height for you.

Based on the rules you have set, it will allow a certain number of risers or certain riser heights.

If you alter the number of risers, the height will adjust automatically and if you adjust the riser height, the number will adjust automatically.

By not linking the top height, it is exactly the same except you nominate the overall height.

You can change the height and it will also affect the number of risers and their height.

Setting as flexible allows you to set the riser height you want to use.

If you are placing a new stair with this setting, you can determine how many treads you want and the overall height will be based on that.

If you have an existing stair and change it to flexible, nothing much will happen, but you should now be able to control the number of risers and th height of the risers.

EDIT:

You can not change an existing stair to flexible.

A stair placed as 'flexible' will become 'not linked' when you select it later.

The height and number of risers available will then depend on the rules you have selected and the overall height.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

so the flexible option is only available when you start a new stair element? i was able to select not linked but did not see the flexible option as you described in your prior screenshot and that is what my uploaded video was not showing above.

Sonoma 14.4.1

Sorry, flexible can not be chosen for an existing stair.

I will edit my original post.

I usually have my stairs linked to the storey or I will place with flexible option or set the overall height only when placing a flight with a few risers.

Once the stair is place there is little need to adjust that setting.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Setup info provided by author