Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Steeldeck roof problem

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

i'm having a problem by drawing a steeldeck roof on an industrial building.

I tried to draw it by the object 'Profiled Sheet Inc 13' from the archicad library 2010. The problem I have is the direction of the slope. I want the sheets to lay in the other direction put I can't find how to do this?

You can see on the image included what I mean. The sheets should lay in the direction of the red lines.

Thanks!!

steeldeck 2.jpg
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hy Dave

This object needs an additional parameter for the "rotation about longitudinal axis". Maybe someone of the GDL gurus on this forum can do it?
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Dave:

Strangely, the code is in the 3D Script as an option, but was not implemented (I don't know if this wall because there were odd problems with certain parameter settings that could cause issues the author did not want to work through). Open the library part, Save As.. a new object (to preserve the existing object), go to the 3D Script, and go to line 176 where you will see:
!if hor = 0 then
	do
		extrude 5,0,0,gesamt,48,
				sumw,0,0,
				sumw+wl/4,h,0,
				sumw+wl/2,h,0,
				sumw+wl*3/4,0,0,
				sumw+wl,0,0

sumw=sumw+wl

while sumw<v
!else
!	rotx 90
!	roty 90
!	do 
!		extrude 5,0,0,v,48,
!			0,sumw,0,
!			h,sumw+wl/4,0,
!			h,sumw+wl/2,0,
!			0,sumw+wl*3/4,0,
!			0,sumw+wl,0
!
!		sumw=sumw+wl
!
!	while sumw<gesamt
!endif
This is an if/then statement for the direction of the corrugations in the sheet. The simplest solution is to reverse the commented out sections so the code reads like this:
!if hor = 0 then
!	do
!		extrude 5,0,0,gesamt,48,
!				sumw,0,0,
!				sumw+wl/4,h,0,
!				sumw+wl/2,h,0,
!				sumw+wl*3/4,0,0,
!				sumw+wl,0,0
!
!		sumw=sumw+wl
!
!	while sumw<v
!else
	rotx 90
	roty 90
	do 
		extrude 5,0,0,v,48,
			0,sumw,0,
			h,sumw+wl/4,0,
			h,sumw+wl/2,0,
			0,sumw+wl*3/4,0,
			0,sumw+wl,0

sumw=sumw+wl

while sumw<gesamt
!endif
This object will only do the horizontal corrugations, like the original only does vertical. If you want to spend more time, you could uncomment all the code and add a parameter hor that controls whether the corrugations are horizontal or vertical.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Dave wrote:
I tried to draw it by the object 'Profiled Sheet Inc 13' from the archicad library 2010. The problem I have is the direction of the slope. I want the sheets to lay in the other direction put I can't find how to do this?
Try OBJECTiVE. It adds tools to easily cut/rotate objects in 3D. With your roof, for example:
  • 1.The profiled roof lying on the level.

2. Switch to a section view looking along the profile, selected the profile, clicked the menu OBJECTiVE > Tools > Rotate, clicked the rotation origin, and the start angle.

3. Set the angle of rotation.

4. The finished rotation in section.

5. The result in 3D.
Note that you can rotate any number of profiled objects simultaneously (about a common origin) so you could cover an entire roof easily. Out of interest, why do you want the profile to run against the slope - won't that cause ponding problems?
Rotate Roofing.jpg
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems
Dwight
Newcomer
That's annoying accessory limitation !!!!

Another simple solution is the Complex Profile: create a section along the roof slope the width of each deck panel sheet and lay them down across the roof slope using the beam tool.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am having exact same problem. profiled sheet has a slope but only in one direction which makes it useless in some situations, eg. supporting beams are sloping and profiled sheet is on them (obviously direction of the steel profiles depend on the supporting beams rather than pitch of the roof. Can somebody explain how to solve this problem ?