Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Sun study

I am needing to produce a sun study showing the net new shadow thrown on a park by a new building. If anybody knows any procedure better than what I figured and describe below, in any software, please let me know.

The process requires calculating the shadowed area on the park as existing, the shadowed area on the park with the new building included, and subtracting the first value from the second value, for *about 1400 moments in the year* (one shot every 15 minutes for 27 days each representing a week in a half year).

The 54 sun studies part (27 existing, 27 new) gets taken care of by ArchiCAD, I guess exporting as 2D lines. Then there is manual magicwanding or whatever to highlight the area of shadow on the park itself by getting it into a polygon or zone, and checking what that value is. My optimist estimate is that each moment may take between one and two minutes, which makes the job a 24 to 48 man hours job.

I find it hard to believe that every single sun study provided to the city required a week or more from some unfortunate guy, and I hope there must be some better method.
22 REPLIES 22
Dwight
Newcomer
the transparent material is 7% opaque. see that it casts a weaker shadow. Turn your quality to "final" or "best."
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight wrote:
the transparent material is 7% opaque. see that it casts a weaker shadow
The thing is I think that in order for the output to be vectorial (scaleable, traceable, listable) the sun study output comes from the 3D window, and there I only have the choice of Internal Engine or OpenGL.
Karl Ottenstein
Ignacio,

Did you ever find a satisfactory method to produce the shadow map that you required? Just curious.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB