Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Marker Fill vs Solid Fill

What is the difference between markerfill and solidfill?
When would I use on instead of the other?

marker fill vs solid fill.png

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Steve,

When would I use on instead of the other?

I'll try to answer your question, but ultimately you will have to get the final answer from your US dealer, since they are the ones deciding what should be in the US localised ArchiCAD version:

-2 fills that looks the same, can - in combination with a different pen for example - make sure a wall intersection are does not heal (this can also be done by the use of different layer settings and the "layer intersection group" button in the Layer settings dialogue box)...

-be listed as different categories in the Calculation menu depending on the set criteria for the list(s) ...

-some fills are linked to particular objects' default parameter settings and might give an error message if not in the fills list ...

I hope the examples above gives you a bit more information on your given question
Thanks for the response Susanne,

I have been curious about the marker fill for a long time.
It would seem that the marker fill is no different than any other fill I could create. It just happens to already be the default fills library.

I am still having a little trouble getting used to the idea of having cut fill, drafting fill, and cover fill.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi again,
I am still having a little trouble getting used to the idea of having cut fill, drafting fill, and cover fill.

The good thing about having 3 different ways of showing a fill in AC 9 is that you have so many more options to "mold" your drawings into.
With the help of Layer combinations, Display options (combinations) and stories/sections/detail windows in Navigator palette you save a lot of time. Time that instead can be spent on design.

In Display options dialogue box there are 3 alt's for show of fills. Those settings goes for both 2D fill tool, wall, roof and slab tool.
An ex:
-a reflected ceiling plan might need to show a scaled size of the ceiling installation (and the 2D fill tool has been used for this element). Display opt's are then set on Vectorial Hatching view for the Drafting fills.
Your walls might be composites and you want to show it on the drawings, but it is not important that the fills in the composite walls are to scale - then the Drafting fill should be set to Bitmap pattern (in Disp. Opt's).
Also, you have not turned Off your slabs' layer (the different floorings' outlines are needed visible), but you don't want to show the cover fill of your flooring slabs on the flooring for your reflected ceiling plan. So the settings for the Cover fills would then be No fills ...

The above is just an example of how you could use the 3 setting options for fills. Of course there are many more ways to work it.

Also, with new categories it is possible to "send" those categories into different layers when exporting to DWG format.