cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Text tool closes when I hit enter key

Jefferson
Participant
This happens on occasion, cured by a restart in the past and hopefully as I am writting this. Basically; select a string of text with tool selected, as soon as I hit the enter key it goes back to selected mode. This if you actually tried to work with it would mean separate strings of text for every phrase/sentence. It was the norm with the 2256 rebuild and the biggest reason I trashed it. You have time for that? I don't!

Does anyone else experience this and or have a convenient work around? I would certianly appreciate a cure.
jeff white
w3d design

AC 23 Solo US / current build & library
Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

http://w3d-design.com
26 REPLIES 26
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Jefferson wrote:
This happens on occasion, cured by a restart i the past and hopefully as I am writting this. Basically; select a string of text with tool selected, as soon as I hit the enter key it goes back to selected mode.
Use <return> to start a new line while entering the text, and <enter> when you are finished (in order to start a new block).
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems
Jefferson
Participant
OK start laughing, the guy never learned how to type, so, the return key on my PC is which key?

T.I.A.
jeff white
w3d design

Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Since you are using a pc, the return and enter keys are both the same thing(MACs have one of each). Not sure what the problem is though.
Josh Osborne - Central Innovation

HP Zbook Studio G4 - Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7 7820HQ, 32Gb RAM, Quadro M1200
Jefferson
Participant
Henry,

Thanks -.............. I get to remove the redfaced little dude. I thought possibly return and enter were one and the same but only have the occasional moments on a Mac. Seems we tend to think in terms of our own OS and forget about the other side. What do you guys call it, the Dark Side?
jeff white
w3d design

Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

__archiben
Booster
think of 'enter' as confirmation of a data input and 'return' as in 'carriage return' (new line) on old typewriters.

whilst there is a very fine line between 'return' and 'enter' in the normal archiCAD working environment, the difference comes into play when using the text tool:

'return' does just what it usually does in word processing applications: it begins a new line of text, whereas 'enter' confirms that your text editing actions are complete and 'completes' the action.

i think that on machines without an 'enter' key, pressing Cmd + 'return' (Ctl + 'return' on a PC?), acts as 'enter'. if you're experiencing something different you may want to check that your keyboard mapping is correct: i.e. you are using a USA keyboard driver for your USA keyboard, etc., otherwise you may find that some of the keys get mapped to different keystrokes.

hope i'm right on this, i'm not 100%, but it may help . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
The "Return" key is usually the bigger one which is part of the qwerty section of the keyboard. The "Enter" key is usually the smaller, vertical-bar type one on the numeric keypad. On my PC however, they are both labelled as "Enter" and both function the same way.
Josh Osborne - Central Innovation

HP Zbook Studio G4 - Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7 7820HQ, 32Gb RAM, Quadro M1200
Jefferson
Participant
Ben,

When I press the key in that spot on my machine [a little page icon ]it brings up a contextual menu, undo,delete, select are the options. The "return" key is the "enter" key here, as well as the one on the numerical key pad. I am working this out as I type this reply and in AC it gives a grayed out contextual menu? Again my lack of typing background continues to bite me in the a$$. You can just imagine my fun with, say Word!

I will certianly give this a go the next time it acts up in AC though! Thanx for the efforts............I'll check into the driver,assuming I can find it. It's always something!

as Henry says they seem to be one and the same in function.......
jeff white
w3d design

Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

Anonymous
Not applicable
The distinction between the Return for carriage return/line feed and Enter for accept/input data has been standard on the Mac for years. On PCs this is still not common and both keys are still labeled "enter" on all the PC keyboards I have seen. Some (most?) PC laptops have only one enter key which typically responds as a linefeed in text editing. Graphisoft implemented the feature on Windows in AC7 I think, but perhaps not all systems support it (my ThinkPads always have).
Jefferson
Participant
OK Matthew, your a cross user, and your thinkpads have a return key? I guess that's not really the point.

How literally do you "enter" [whos' on first?] a second, third line in the text tool? You tap which key? The enter key on my numeric pad closes the text tool [when it's behaving] and the enter key [what's on second?] to the right middle edge of the "standard" key set enters [I dunno's on third?]a new line.

In a way it's all moot until the problem reappears..........
jeff white
w3d design

Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory