Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Thatched Roofs

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Everybody,

I'm currently working on a project which is an extension to a Listed Cotswold thatched cottage.

Now after much experimentation and head scratching I've managed to create a satisfactory result so far as modelling the thatch roof, because of it's natural curves and rough lines I've settled for using a custom profiled wall to create my roof and with some trimming and playing around the sketch renders and my lightworks look ok especially with shadows on, but for my 2D elevations I will simply use a fill to further enhance the detail.

I was just wondering in general (as I'm not changing it now ) has anyone else modelled a thatch roof in Archicad and if so have you any pointers or observations etc.

Using the roof tool and then trimming it with custom profiles etc. I found difficult as it was tricky to work out how you needed to trim the roof for the right look, whilst still trimming your walls to the roof and not leaving odd gaps etc.

Mesh to roof I'd never used before and having tried it seemed to me like it could of been a big headache again trying to achieve the right look.

I guess someone will tell me that the easiest way is to buy this wonderful plug-in of some kind, but unfotunately I don't have that luxury as whilst my boss loves what I can do with Archicad, is so computer iliteterate trying to explain to him why he needs to spend £200 so that I can draw the odd thatch roof when he's spent £3000 on a CAD system, actually makes drawing the roof easy in comparison.

I'd just like to say, I read this forum everyday and I think Archicad has a fantastic community everyone is so friendly and ready to share their expierience with this super program and I just hope that with Graphisofts recent take over that things go from strength to strength.

Thanks everybody.

P.S. where can I get some graphisoft freebees etc. I've an Archicad 9 t-shirt and pen (oh and Rubix cube!) from when I last attended Archicad University, but it would be nice to have some more Archicad items (even if we have to pay) even having a few bits around the office would be cool so that clients etc. are more aware of what and how you're doing their work.

Plus I feel proud of my achievements in being able to use a program like Archicad, unlike AutoCAD users we're not just a bunch of Joes who are running a boot leg copy of AutoCAD 2004 (which I see happening quite a bit, particularly small time single users) and creates problems when I use there drawings and they have the most weird margine settings etc.

Thanks Again,

Mark.
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thatched roofs are clearly a challenge for ArchiCAD. It sounds like you've done it about the best way possible within the standard program. Maxonform would offer some advantages for this as well as giving you a bunch more capabilities. So if you think you are going to run into much more freeform or other such modeling requirements it would be worth a look see. If it's just for the odd thatched roof your boss is probably right.
Djordje
Ace
If it is just occasional roof, SketchUp and Sandbox could probably do the job ...

... but, Maxon gives you organics anytime, anywhere.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the replies, it's satisfying when a work around works (to a point) especially when like I found with this thatch roof you don't know where to start.

Maxonform though would be a good investment, from a timeline point of view given the time spent experimenting the cost cancels itself out.

Cheers.

Mark.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Mark wrote:
Hi Everybody,

I'm currently working on a project which is an extension to a Listed Cotswold thatched cottage.

Now after much experimentation and head scratching I've managed to create a satisfactory result so far as modelling the thatch roof, because of it's natural curves and rough lines I've settled for using a custom profiled wall to create my roof and with some trimming and playing around the sketch renders and my lightworks look ok especially with shadows on, but for my 2D elevations I will simply use a fill to further enhance the detail.

Mark.
Please could you post a couple of pictures of what you've done? I am very keen to see how it came out.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Below is a test render I've taken tonight, still very much work in progress as I'm yet to fine tune my material and shading settings etc. but you can see what the result of my efforts are.

Fairly happy, but the eyelids over the first floor windows I cannot seem to get any better than this, not to worry though as my extension is going on the right hand side where there currently is a flat roof garage and I shall cut and paste my proposals into existing photos as this is a sensitive site and use fills to more accurately portray the thatch roof on my 2D elevations.

It is a shame about the sketch renders I've tried though as apart from a few unwanted (unavoidable) lines they would look really good, might have to work them up in photoshop, I'll post a sketch render soon and once I've finished the project (hopefully over the weekend) I'll post a couple more.

Thanks,

Mark.
Thatch first render.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Mark

The stone mullions and label mouldings look good too.