cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Tools to use when making a garden

Anonymous
Not applicable
Howdy, ArchiCAD's community.

I'm in need to make a garden. In my picture you can see that my currently garden is really, REALLY ugly. I'm not at all satisfied with it. I made it with the easy slab-tool to create the grass and stonepaths.

So, my question is which tool should I use to create a garden? Is there any tutorial when making a garden?

Help is really appreciated!

Thanks

/Nok

30 nov  - 3 - Kopia.png
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
There are a garden objects in the standard library. Most of what you see here is the hedge element and the tree 3D with different materials applied. You can get them to look better more realistic if you want by using textures with transparency as well.
Anonymous
Not applicable
"Jeffrey" wrote:
There are a garden objects in the standard library. Most of what you see here is the hedge element and the tree 3D with different materials applied. You can get them to look better more realistic if you want by using textures with transparency as well.

Yes. But once again, which tool should I use to make the garden? E.g. in your picture, how did you create that grass and stone-path?
Anonymous
Not applicable
The grass is a mesh with a grass texture applied and the stone path is a combination of slabs and objects subtracted from the mesh as they are all flat. If the walkway needs to follow the contour of the site you would use the mesh tool.

There is a tutorial kicking around about using the mesh and SEO, but I am not sure where I saw it, and it is more specific to creating the site with a walkway that follows the contour. You achieve the look of grass or stone by applying a texture to the material you are using. Sorry I misunderstood what you were trying to achieve.
Anonymous
Not applicable
How did you create the ivy on the trellis?

-JS
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jeffrey wrote:
The grass is a mesh with a grass texture applied and the stone path is a combination of slabs and objects subtracted from the mesh as they are all flat. If the walkway needs to follow the contour of the site you would use the mesh tool.

There is a tutorial kicking around about using the mesh and SEO, but I am not sure where I saw it, and it is more specific to creating the site with a walkway that follows the contour. You achieve the look of grass or stone by applying a texture to the material you are using. Sorry I misunderstood what you were trying to achieve.
I think the original author was Lazzario so he probably remembers where he saved it but i've attached the JPEG anyway.

1. Create mesh using the mesh tool - to add paths/roads etc
2. create a path/ road etc using the slab tool (ensure that the slab intersects with the mesh at all points)
3. within SEO interface box Select "slab" as "Target"
4. Select "Mesh" as "Operator"
5. Choose "Intersection" from SEO interface box and click execute.

THEN -

6. Select Slab as "Operator" & Mesh as "Target"
7. Choose "Subtraction with upwards Extrusion" from SEO interface and click execute.

you should now have a nice and clean intersecting path/road that follows the mesh contours.

*Warning*
SEO calculations can be pretty extensive and it may be worthwhile splitting the mesh and slab into smaller chunks to avoid memory overuns
MESH TIP.JPEG
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry Jay,

Hadn't been here in a bit to see your question.

The "ivy" on top of the pergola is the hedge object and the on the post is the hedge corner object. Can't recall their exact names at the moment but they are part of the standard US library. Their names do contain hedge though so they shouldn't be too hard to find.
This might be a helpful video.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you both.

Eric's tips are terrific. He is a great teacher. I hadn't checked this particular tutorial yet.

-JS
Anonymous
Not applicable
At least from this spot, it looks like the link Richard posted is now broken:
Not sure but this may be it.
All is good stuff, but the part about walkways starts at around the six minute mark.
http://www.bobrow.com/archicad-tutorials/archicad-tutorial-video-tip-terrain-modeling-using-solid-el...