Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Trim Wall

Anonymous
Not applicable
So - again, bare with me here I have just upgraded from v.13 to 17, so I am probably missing a lot of new tools and how to use them by jumping so many versions. If my questions seem lame - this is why.

In 13 the Trim to roof tool was handy because you could trim a wall to a roof and then move the roof or delete it and still hold that edited shape of the wall.

In 17 - it seems that this is not the case with the trim to roof or shell tool any more. When you move or raise the roof the wall shape changes with it.

Is this all true?
Do we not anymore have that old trim to roof option?
3 REPLIES 3
Karl Ottenstein
The old static "trim" is now called "crop"
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
So we can no longer trim a wall to roof... then delete the roof and have a trimmed wall..
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Barry Kelly
vfrontiers wrote:
So we can no longer trim a wall to roof... then delete the roof and have a trimmed wall..
Yes you can so long as you 'Crop' your roof.
This is the equivalent of the old 'Trim' command.
You must also convert any multi-plane roofs to single roof planes.
So exactly the same as old versions except the name has changed from 'Trim' to 'Crop'.

'Trim' now performs a kind of Solid Element Operation on the wall and the roof must remain in the model for the trim to stay active.
The only differences between Trim and SEO is that with trim you graphically choose the upward or downward extrusion and any part of the wall outside of the roofs trimming body will be cut away (in 3D - still not in 2D).
The SEO doesn't use the roof trimming body so literally only the part of the wall interacting with the roof is cut - any part of the wall outside the roof will remain (in 3D).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11