Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Using GPS Survey Data in Archi Cad

Anonymous
Not applicable
Morning,

I have been working, and surveying land using the LEICA 1200 GPS, creating spot height drawings. I usually drag the drawing in to sketch up and work away, but since we recently bought ARCHI CAD16 and was wondering how/if it is possible to input the data and create a 3D mesh from the data. When I export the data from the GPS I can export to a DXF file. Is this the correct format, or has anybody had this problem before and knows how to help?

Regards

OrkneyCAD
5 REPLIES 5
David Maudlin
Rockstar
OrkneyCAD:

If the GPS data can be formatted correctly, you could use the Place Mesh from Surveyors Data... command to import the data points as a Mesh. Here is one thread about this (you can search the forum for others):
Making mesh from map and text values (imported from dwg)

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there a way to export mesh points or level dimensions in cogo , xml, or txt formats? I have imported surveyor data (from txt file) before and would like to know if it is possible to export new elevation points to give back to civil engineer
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Meggz:

Not directly. But there is a way to extract the data points from the Mesh.

Select the Mesh then use the Object… command to covert the Mesh to an Object. Open this object using the Open Object… command. In the 3D Script of the object will be a MASS statement (around line 40), followed by 2 lines of mass parameters (materials, number of points etc, see MASS command in the GDL Reference Guide), and then one data point per line (x, y, z, status code). The x, y, z coordinates could be extracted from this script and reformatted for the surveyor’s use.

I don’t know if it is worth the effort, but could be useful if a set procedure was established then just redone as the Mesh changed.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
David Maudlin

Sorry for the delay in responding to your last post.

I am still trying to get the GPS formatted to the correct format so it can be imported to ArchiCAD. Your attached thread is very helpful as well.

I will get my Profile up to date as well, I am new to this forum so might take me a few mins to get totally up to speed.

Thanks

OrkneyCAD
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sweet! Thanks, I've sent the saved out txt file to the engineer for import into Autodesk Civil 3D...will keep you posted