cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Using a Teamwork draft copy

Anonymous
Not applicable
We want to start bringing files home on the weekends to play catchup and after doing some searching on this site we determined the best way to do this is to use a teamwork draft copy. I've read that if you want to be able to update the .plp file with changed made to the .plc then you have to remain signed in to the .plp. My question is, does the .plp have to remain opened and the computer turned on? Or can we close the file and shut off the computer? Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are 90% done on this project and it would kill us to screw it up. Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3
pilkovskylm wrote:
I've read that if you want to be able to update the .plp file with changed made to the .plc then you have to remain signed in to the .plp. My question is, does the .plp have to remain opened and the computer turned on? Or can we close the file and shut off the computer? Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are 90% done on this project and it would kill us to screw it up. Thanks.
The plp is not open in the first place. Plp's can't be opened, they can only be signed in to.

Short version:

Share the project. This turns a pln into a plp. (Though the pln still exists.)

Teamwork -> Sign in, find the plp, set up the workspace.

Save. This will bring up a save dialog, and the file you're saving is a plc. You can work away on this, and the plp is unchanged until you Send & Receive. At that point, your plc and the master plp are re-synchronized. Your work goes into the plp, and any changes to the plp (sent by others in other workspaces) will appear in your local plc. (You can also just Receive, without sending.)

While you're signed in, you can take the plc around the world, it doesn't matter. When you open the plc off network, you will be warned that you can't send changes, but you can still work. When you come back to the network, send and receive and all should be well. To be clear, you should stay signed in, that's the only way you can send.

Naturally, you might want to experiment with a file that won't get you killed first. But the fundamentals are pretty straightforward. There's more to sharing and signing in than I've told you, but you can find that out.

Good luck,
James Murray

Archicad 27 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Anonymous
Not applicable
Something to note for cross platform users...If you create the PLC on Windows you cannot successfully copy it to a Mac and work on it, then send & receive changes. Don't ask me why, but it thinks you are not signed in.

Instead you must sign-in and create the PLC on the desired platform. In this case, sign-in on the Mac and work on the PLC on the Mac, then send changes from the Mac and sign-out. THEN you can work again on the Windows computer. Don't ask me why.

Also, we tries loading the LCF file we use for our library (typically on Windows) on a Mac and it reports many strange errors. Loading the same exact library that has been expanded does not cause errors. So, on the Mac we are loading the expanded version only. Don't ask me why.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the replys.