Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Walls - Floor Plan Display Options

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am trying to get a footing, which is being drawn as a 1ft thick wall to display as a dotted line on a foundation plan. Regardless of how I set the Floor Plan Display options and various settings under the Floor Plan and Section window, the wall displays with a continuous line style.

I attempted to override the wall settings as outlined in the Help file.

Floor Plan Display
6 Overhead All: the entire element’s outline is shown using its overhead attributes.

I even changed the composite wall definition to define the contour lines as dotted with no affect.

Am I missing something?
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Please see this thread.
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=13309
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the thread and tip. However, it does not seem that lowering the Cut Plane Height in the view settings will affect the display since the top of the footing is 4" below the story elevation.

Based upon the description of the "Overhead All" setting, (the entire element’s outline is shown using its overhead attributes), it appears that this setting should work with the intended results.

Is this a bug in the program?
TomWaltz
Participant
Joe

Is the footing below your cutting plane, like you are cutting the foundation and want to see the footing dashed below?
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes. I was building the foundation wall and footing as two separate wall elements, each on their own layer. This allows me to control the visibility of each component on different views. On residential projects the basement slab is typically 4" thick on rests upon the footing. Since the top of slab elevation is the same as the story elevation, the top of footing is 4" below the cutting plane.

I was hoping to avoid the gray line solution as you described.

So am I interpreting the "Overhead All" setting incorrectly or is this a bug in the program?
TomWaltz
Participant
"Overhead all" controls the linetype of lines above the cut plane.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tom,

I truely believe that "Overhead all" controls the ENTIRE element’s outline as stated. I tested the issue further and I was able to get the footing to correctly display.

The key is the Show on / Link to Stories: setting. If it is set to "Automatic", then it will display as a solid line.

But if it is set to "Own Story Only" AND if the Floor Plan Display setting is set to "Overhead All", then it takes on the line style and pen color defined under Outlines.

While it works fine with composite wall types, as noted earlier, it does not work with the complex profiles.

Hopefully this helps.