Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Why can't I find out how many studs and top rails I need

Anonymous
Not applicable
All of my previous work has been for large structures using steel reinforced concrete but my latest has studded interior walls. While easy to select the type of wall (steel/wood stud, thickness, gypsum, etc.) I couldn't find anyway to set the spacing of the studs. Here in Canada the maximum spacing is 16" ib center and a standard used in general. I went through all of the "lists" available and while I could show the list that indicates the wall(s) I couldn't find a list that actually showed how many studs and rails (top and bottom) that would be needed to construct the wall(s). Is there a reason for this? As my test project for this I opened a new project and place a single wall that had wood studs (2" x 6") and gypsum drywall. The wall length was arbitrary. Those characteristics were chosen in the Wall options window. Next I selected the "lumber pack cut list" but AC responded with an alert indicating that there weren't any lumber items. Really? It was obvious that AC did not realize the wall was made with wood studs even though that was stipulated in the wall options window. Anybody got any thoughts?
10 REPLIES 10
DrWho wrote:
Perhaps you don't need to know how many studs there are, but rather how many to order? I am a big fan of modeling the framing, however, this does not produce results too far off form standard rules of thumb for take-offs. It's not very often where the circumstances warrant modeling the Framing detail. However, when you do need to do that, how you model what is important and relative to what you need to do with it.
I typically use Columns for studs, Walls for plate. Work with pre-modeled door and window assemblies that you can quickly edit for specific conditions. Trace Reference is your friend for doing this Don't look too close -- screen shots were work in progress

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25