Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Why don't zones pick up slabs in schedules?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am creating a schedule that lists several slabs I created that represent countertops. for whatever reason, The zone name will not show up in the schedule.

I've noticed that all slabs are like this.

Is there some reason why slabs are not able to pick up the zone information?

I'm still using version 9.0 by the way.

Thanks
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable
vincon2 wrote:
...Does Archiforma have the ability to show total perimeter, total SF, user defined fields, etc, etc for scheduling?
vincon2,
ArchiForma will basically create the counters as ArchiForma Objects. You can assign object IDs to them for filtering and also assign various Archiforma parameters for listing. Unfortunately, the Archiforma parameters available for assigning are not as specific as the ones avaiable for slabs. Maybe you could customize the ArchiForma objects by creating special additional parameters to the various ArchiForma object types....I'm not sure about this because I've never tried it.

Bottomline,
I suggested the ArchiForma process becacuse the counter objects are easier to create, modify,bevel, etc....and they know/report what zone they are in.

Don't know if this answers your question but hope it helps,
Dan K
Anonymous
Not applicable
Perhaps the solution is to make some decent countertop library parts. As I think about it this should be possible with a few relatively simple parts. Lets see...

1. Straight runs with options for finished ends, backsplashes and mitered, butt or returned ("L" shaped) corners.

2. Islands & Peninsulas with options for curved edges.

Anything else?

We would also need sinks that can do SEOs. Do the current ones work?

Now if only I had the time...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dan wrote:
vincon2 wrote:
...Does Archiforma have the ability to show total perimeter, total SF, user defined fields, etc, etc for scheduling?
vincon2,
ArchiForma will basically create the counters as ArchiForma Objects. You can assign object IDs to them for filtering and also assign various Archiforma parameters for listing. Unfortunately, the Archiforma parameters available for assigning are not as specific as the ones avaiable for slabs. Maybe you could customize the ArchiForma objects by creating special additional parameters to the various ArchiForma object types....I'm not sure about this because I've never tried it.

Bottomline,
I suggested the ArchiForma process becacuse the counter objects are easier to create, modify,bevel, etc....and they know/report what zone they are in.

Don't know if this answers your question but hope it helps,
Dan K
Thanks

I just realized I already own Archiforma and I find it very difficult to use. The dinky manual that comes with it is hard to understand and I am completely lost as to how to use it.

Is there a better training guide out there somewhere?

How did you learn it?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika wrote:
vincon2 wrote:

Due to the complexity of my drawings its critical that I don't do things like you suggest because when I make changes, it makes hunting for these areas that need to be corrected a herculian task.
We know the zones won't pick up the slabs. Making use of the"ID" for each slab allows you to quickly locate them using find and select.

You can increase the ease of finding the slabs by use of specific pens and/or fills.
I don't have a problem finding the slabs, I have a problem getting them to appear on my schdeule like I want them to.

I want a schedule that is segregated by room location that will ist everything in that room. In the case of countertops I want to be able to list the countertops, the room they are in and the total SF.

To my knowledge, there is no way to do that if I use a slab to create the countertop with and I want my zone to define the room name.

If someone knows a creative workaround all ears
Anonymous
Not applicable
vincon2 wrote:
...I just realized I already own Archiforma and I find it very difficult to use. The dinky manual that comes with it is hard to understand and I am completely lost as to how to use it.

Is there a better training guide out there somewhere?

How did you learn it?

vincon2,
It's really not that hard to use when you understand the basics. I've never really looked at the manual...I learned by watching a friend use it a few times. As far a training guide goes, I'm not aware of any...best thing to do is alot of trial and error testing...you'll eventually get the hang of it.

I know I'm kinda' getting off topic but, I'm wondering how you currently model all the detail on your homes?

If you're doing it by saving out graphical GDL objects, you're just creating extra library maintenance work. I'm attaching an image showing some of the detail I model with ArchiForma...all the decocorative detail: wdw surrounds, sills, rustications, cast stone scrolls, etc. are done in ArchiForma. I like to do it this way because I don't need to keep a separate project specific Library folder for all the custom pieces.

Try it, you'll like it,
Dan K
vincon example.jpg
Chazz
Enthusiast
I know I'm coming in late here but I just ran into this myself. Thanks to Laszlo for calling it definitively (and also for your work in the Wiki which has been very helpful lately)

Here's a solution: Use slab accessories.

This way any edditing to the slab will instantly update the shape of the object. Now you have something that schedules by room and is linked to the slab and tracks automatically.

The rub? Slab accessories cannot show a material in plan and 3D in the yummy unified way that slabs and roofs can. Bummer. It seems that GS has sort of abandoned the accessories. You can still get the effect you want, it just means assigning a 2D fill and a material separately.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Chazz
Enthusiast
Following up after actually eating my own dog food (that is to say actually trying my own suggestion).....

The issue seems to be that while you can schedule the slab accessory objects by room and report their material and assembly, there does not appear to be a way to sched the area of the part --a serious drawback. I'm trying to do this using the "Floor Construction" object in the AC 9 Add-On lib. I have not looked for the AC 10 equivalent and don't even know if there is one.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Chazz wrote:
I know I'm coming in late here but I just ran into this myself. Thanks to Laszlo for calling it definitively (and also for your work in the Wiki which has been very helpful lately).
You are welcome.
I also got paid by GS while doing it.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Chazz
Enthusiast
Chazz wrote:
there does not appear to be a way to sched the area of the part --a serious drawback.
Absurd workaround: Make the slab accessory 1 Unit think (in my case 1 foot). Then schedule the Volume and rename the field Area (sf).

It works but why do we have to go through such pain?