Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Windows Keep Switching To Transparent

Anonymous
Not applicable
In 'View->3D View Mode->3D Window Settings' you can set the transparency to 'off', then the next time you make a view of an elevation, the windows will be opaque. However, if you left the transparency on when you created the view, there is no way to redefine the view so the windows are opaque.

I created two views of the same section -- one defined when transparency was on, and the other when it was off. Sure enough they each memorized their own transparency setting.

The question now is, How do you redefine the transparency state of a view? There is no transparency option in the Settings, and I have tried setting the transparency, popping up the settings dialog, then clicking OK, but it won't redefine the transparency. Currently, the only way I can solve this problem is to delete the original view and define a new one. However, I have a drafter who has completely annotated an exterior elevation, and has the transparency in the wrong mode. I would prefer not to lose all the associative annotation.
24 REPLIES 24
__archiben
Booster
Aussie wrote:
no luck here even though on build 966
have you tried on a file created after the hotfix?
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Aussie John
Newcomer
I was trying on an old file - maybe that is the answer
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
__archiben
Booster
Aussie wrote:
I was trying on an old file - maybe that is the answer
it shouldn't make a difference if they've fixed it properly. i was just trying to figure out why it doesn't work for you . . .

cheers
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
Anonymous
Not applicable
I was on 966 when I tried it the first time.
__archiben
Booster
hang on . . . i'm getting ahead of myself again. more red-face

this is working for me in the mactel release candidate (AC10 INT 943). i'll try the 966 build later . . . it feels like i've used more archicad builds in the last year than i've had hot dinners.

laura, what are you using?

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
I'm on AC10 966 USA FULL -- and what was working Tuesday is no longer working today -- on Tuesday I edited the view with "Get Current Window's Settings", and then turned Transparency "On" again and regenerated the saved view (did same for 3 additional views) -- Transparency remained "Off" -- two days later, and I can no longer get the setting to stick.

I've got to say, I've been experiencing a lot of inconsistent problems with this release. What works one day, doesn't the next -- and the work-around for someone else doesn't work for me (or vice-versa). Very frustrating...
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC27 US (5003) on Mac OS Ventura 13.6.2
Started on AC4.0 in 91/92/93; full-time user since AC8.1 in 2004
__archiben
Booster
Laura wrote:
on Tuesday I edited the view with "Get Current Window's Settings", and then turned Transparency "On" again and regenerated the saved view (did same for 3 additional views) -- Transparency remained "Off" -- two days later, and I can no longer get the setting to stick.
i'm using the 'Redefine Image Settings with Current' button in the 3D Only pane . . . works a dream.
I've got to say, I've been experiencing a lot of inconsistent problems with this release. What works one day, doesn't the next -- and the work-around for someone else doesn't work for me (or vice-versa). Very frustrating...
no shit! i'm revising my opinion of archicad from "80% complete features" to "100% complete features that only work 80% of the time" . . .

do a new and reset . . . see if that brings it back?

~/archiben
redefine.jpg
b e n f r o s t
Anonymous
Not applicable
Laura wrote:

I almost had a mental meltdown yesterday about this very same problem. I think software programming in general is sloppier now than it ever has been in the past. MS Word thinks that when I highlight one line and make it a bulleted item, what I really want is for the whole $%^& document to be bulleted -- even the header and footer! It also decides to 'help' me with tables by changing the size of every single column when all I try to do is make one column just a little bigger. I'm not sure if these are bugs or 'features', but it is definitely annoying!

ArchiCAD has so many odd problems that I easily spent 1/4 of this week just trying to find answers for them. Here is the list:
  • (1) One computer started crashing on a project and within the first day it had crashed 14 times. After an hour of testing, the solution was to reload ArchiCAD without the 966 patch.

(2) Another computer couldn't figure out the proper detail numbers for the floor plan markers. Each marker pointed to a different sheet even though the details were on the same sheet as the plan with the markers. The solution was to kill the plan view and build a new view.

(3) Another computer couldn't save without crashing. Testing revealed that there is something wrong with the file because it crashed on other computers, too. The 'solution' is to work without saving until it's time to quit, then try to save, which will crash. Then you start ArchiCAD again and recover the file, then you can save successfully because it only starts crashing after the first few edits.

(4) Another computer had an empty window opening that would show up in 3D, but not in a section view.

(5) A user called me to ask how to make a special window. After he built it, he saved it as a GDL and tried to insert it into a wall. It complained about a script problem (I don't remember what exactly). So on a whim I told him to re-save it and see what happens. This time it gave a completely different script error. Fortunately, he humored me by trying it one more time -- this time it worked. Three saves, three different outputs. I wish I had saved the first GDL states.

(6) Just now, in the middle of typing this list, I received another distress call on a particular file. When the Designer demonstrated it to me, all he did was open the project, then try to resize the application window. BOOM! ArchiCAD disappeared -- no bug reporter. I guess I know what I'll be doing for the next hour or so.

I think some of these are related to migrating AC9 projects into AC10. The first time we tried it, it worked well. However, since then I've started seeing more and more problems.

Sorry about the ranting. You should have seen what I wrote yesterday! I decided to keep it to myself -- not one of my most noble moments.
__archiben
Booster
THIS STILL DOES NOT WORK FOR SECTION/ELEVATIONS!!!!

what do we have to do graphisoft? for [censored] sake?!!!! there used to be a simple 'redefine' button in archicad 9. and there were a lot of blue-faced people telling you to re-instate that same 'redefine' button during the development and testing of AC10 . . . "oh no," you said, "there's a 'Settings' dialogue now...."

so what now? how do we redefine section/elevation views after changing 3D settings?

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've been having this issue too since v.10 'upgrade'
At time of writing, I've updated to 1010 hotfix and problem is still recurring!!
The only way I've found to 'work-around' is to open the organiser, delete the offending saved views, and after setting 3D window settings to no transparency I drag the S/E's from project map to view sets
the lesson for me is: ensure the 3D window settings are set to transparency OFF, and then define your S/E's

so, is anyone else still having post-1010 hotfix issues?