cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Windows & doors materials

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I have a habit (tell me if it's a bad one or not) to have a separate file to make my library parts in: doors, windows & anything else I need.

Please confirm this: when I create my window, all reference to materials are embedded in the library part as they are when it is created. This means that if at some later point you change the material's properties (change color or such) the library parts won't reflect the change.

If this is true, how do I script this correctly to have materials follow? right now I'm drawing my windows with slabs & saving from the 3D window.

Luc
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
The library part will typically save a reference to the material by name. (At least this is true when saving as editable GDL; I don't have much experience with saving binaries.)

Any project the part is used in will need to have this same material (by name) to work correctly. This is why most library parts (written by those who know) have the materials set as user defineable parameters.

As a rule, any parts you intend for use among multiple projects should be written in GDL or, if saved from the 3D view, should have their scripts modified accordingly.

The custom one-off parts for specific projects should be created within the project they are made for. This ensures that the attributes (materials, pens, etc.) will work with out any fuss. It is handy to create a special layer for this (i.e. "Object Factory" or such) and a layer combination that hides all the layer but that one. It is also good to place the parts at the project origin so that if you do decide to edit the GDL later it will be much easier.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well,

If this is true, then I've got a major problem here, because the material that's not matching is "Glass". I've modified the original one that comes with a new drawing in my drawing file, but didn't touch it in the library parts file.

hmmm, I guess I'll be importing my windows into my drawing file and re-saving them huh?

Thanks,
Luc
Anonymous
Not applicable
"Glass" is one of the few materials that should work fine. It has been a default material forever, so as long as you don't rename or delete it you should be OK.

The library part will use the material settings of the file it is placed in. If you need to adjust the color or transparency in one project it will not affect any others. If you need to get the old settings back use attribute manager to grab it from another file.