cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Working with Wall and Columns

Greg D
Participant
I am working a column, and used a zero thickness roof with solid element operations to 'subtract with downward extrusion' to create a truncated side to the column. Now I have a wall coming to the column, and it seems the column wants to trim the wall from the top of the column, so I end up with an unwanted space between the wall and the column. Here is a screen shot of that condition.

Does anyone know how to let the wall run into the column, and trim the wall to the sloping side of the column?
Greg Danskin - Architect
http://www.danskinarchitecture.com

AC 19/20/21
iMac Retina 5K, 4 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB
OS 10.13.4 High Sierra
9 REPLIES 9
Jere
Expert
I would model that column section out of a complex profile wall then subtract it from the wall. No roof or other operator required this way.
ArchiCAD 26; Windows 11; Intel i7-10700KF; 64GB RAM, GeForce GTX 3060
Anonymous
Not applicable
For the column you can use the object "Column_Tapered 15.gsm" (I have made a modification of an existing object "PilastroRastremato.gsm").
Column_Tapered 15 and Wall.gsm.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
And here is the object:
Greg D
Participant
Thanks to both andro55 and Jere. I will have to try the complex profile wall, as just three sides of the column are tapered, and I see the tapered column appears to be symetric about the z axis.

The fourth face of my podium is vertical, and oh by the way has a notch cut out of the top (see pic). The nice thing about using roofs as 'cutting planes' is that you can readily change the shape of the object you are working with. Is this possible with complex profile walls?
Greg Danskin - Architect

AC 19/20/21
iMac Retina 5K, 4 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB
OS 10.13.4 High Sierra
Anonymous
Not applicable
In this case use "Offset Column.gsm". It can have 1 or 2 vertical sides.
The notch on the top can be made with a BEAM, a SLAB, or a WALL (using SEO)!
Greg D
Participant
Perfect! Thank you for your help! Here is the result...
Greg Danskin - Architect

AC 19/20/21
OS 10.13.4 High Sierra
Barry Kelly
Greg wrote:
Thanks to both andro55 and Jere. I will have to try the complex profile wall, as just three sides of the column are tapered, and I see the tapered column appears to be symetric about the z axis.

The fourth face of my podium is vertical, and oh by the way has a notch cut out of the top (see pic). The nice thing about using roofs as 'cutting planes' is that you can readily change the shape of the object you are working with. Is this possible with complex profile walls?
This is the perfect scenario for the new Morph tool in version 16.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Greg D
Participant
I can't wait. Now, how do I get the intersection line of these two elements to appear in the elevation view? Here is a screen shot for reference. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!
Greg Danskin - Architect

AC 19/20/21
OS 10.13.4 High Sierra
Anonymous
Not applicable
The intersection line in the elevation view will be visible if you do a SEO - subtraction between the column (operator) and the wall+slab (target).