Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

beams and model intersections in legacy

heathldesign
Expert
I'm trying to figure out how to get my beams to not intersect with my walls in sections, and if i uncheck the legacy option my beam shows up, but i have issues with walls at my gable end. so i need to leave it checked. so my girder does not intersect with the slab, but it does with the wall. there must be another setting for this, but i can't find it. i have the opposite problem in another model, it intersects with the slab. where do i find the settings for this?

Screen Shot 2016-04-12 at 5.31.05 PM.png
MAC Studio 2022 M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 10 cores, AC27 5030 Apple Silicon USA
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly
Two things can control this.

If the beams and walls are in the same layer then with legacy on the strengths of the Building materials are used.
So if the beam material is stronger than the wall it will cut the wall or if the wall material is stronger than the beam it will cut the beam.

If the beams and walls are in different layers then you can change the intersection priority number for those layers (in the layer settings).
If the numbers are different then elements in different layers will not trim each other but you will need to model the beam so it does not penetrate the wall.
Also remember to change the priority numbers in your layer combinations as well otherwise they will simply reset when you change layer combinations (views).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Increase the Intersection Priority strength of the Building Material you have used for the beam so it is higher than that of the wall material.
Anonymous
Not applicable
You beat me to it, Barry, and with a much better explanation.
heathldesign
Expert
Barry wrote:
Two things can control this.

If the numbers are different then elements in different layers will not trim each other but you will need to model the beam so it does not penetrate the wall.

Barry.
so far no go, but i always have trouble with the priority settings. i don't get what you mean about modelling the beam so it doesn't penetrate the wall. it's a girder so it's part of the wall.
never mind, it worked! thanks guys
MAC Studio 2022 M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 10 cores, AC27 5030 Apple Silicon USA