cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

chamfered or detail cut on beam ends

Anonymous
Not applicable
What is the easiest way to model beams with chamfered ends or details cut on the beam ends?
Thank you,
John
6 REPLIES 6
Dwight
Newcomer
Build a group of complex profile walls to either auto-cut or SEO the beam end. Think of the group as a special trimming object.

In this image, I've overlapped several complex profile walls to step the cut.
the end.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Aloha Dwight,
Thanks, I'll give it a try. First I have to figure out how to make a complex profile wall. Would you be so kind as to give me a hint or instructions on how to do this?
Once the end of the beam has been cut this way can the beam be moved around, copied, raised and lowered? Can the angle and rotation of the beam be changed?
Thank you,
John
Dwight
Newcomer
The principle is to EXTRUDE a shape with the wall tool.

1: use a fill shape to make a complex profile shape, assign it to wall use [distinct from wall, beam and column uses -to keep the complex profile choices manageable for each tool].

2: Use it in a wall ACROSS the axis of the beam. If you have the wall/beam priorities correct, the wall automatically cuts the beam. But you can't see this until you make the wall into a wireframe layer. If you don't get the priorities right, use the SEO function to trim the beam.

3: You'll edit the fill to change the shape of the trim and apply it to the conditions you'd like to edit.

4: Group these elements to make them travel with the beam.

See Eric's article: the three bunny wunnies have a picnic

Now, if having the construction drawing benefits and behaviours of a real 'beam' isn't important, you can make the entire beam element from a wall complex profile element without any trimming. You'd use a fill derived from the building section, copy the fill to the complex profile editing window and then draw ACROSS the axis to make the wallbeamthingy.

This approach solves numerous modelling challenges in Archicad where the SECTION PROFILE defines the shape of the sideways extrusion for ballustrades, medallions, logo signage - whatever!!

Oy Vey!!! Experiment, already!!!
profile yet again..jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Gerald Hoffman
Enthusiast
johncassel wrote:
What is the easiest way to model beams with chamfered ends or details cut on the beam ends?
Well I would have to argue with Dwight on this one. but with a caveat. This is probably the easiest way to do it within AC without any added tools but using the OBJECTiVE tool add-on makes it dead simple. You can easily rotate, change pitch angle etc. I use this add-on more than any other except perhaps CadImage's Door & Window tool. My 2 cents.
Gerald Hoffman
“The simplification of anything is always sensational” GKC
Archicad 4.55 - 27-5030 USA
2019 MacBook Pro (64GB w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU)
Stress Co_
Advisor
johncassel wrote:
I'll give it a try. First I have to figure out how to make a complex profile wall. Would you be so kind as to give me a hint or instructions on how to do this?
John:
Check THIS ArchicadWiki article... half way down.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.5 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks everybody,
I'm trying Objective right now and it was easy and worked great.
Mahalo,
John