Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

floor and wall framing

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there a way to create structural elements? I want to create a simple floor framing plan, and a roof framing plan, but I cannot find a way to do this. Tried TrussMaker, but that wasn't successful.

I'm new to ArchiCAD, so maybe I'm just missing t. Seems like a no-brainer tool.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Ralph
Although very fancy indeed, not very practical, at least here for most framing.
Two things:
1. What we have lots and lots of in the US is what we call conventional light frame construction. How will Framewright handle this kind of framing?
2. Also looks like your model has what we call "soft story" issues.
complete collapse from any lateral movement, based on the bottom floor.
Can you show a more conventional framing? Especially with split story
and hip roofs? Two very popular design concepts here.
Also at least somewhat on a sloped lot with stepped foundation.
Maybe even a split wall dormer. That's where the dormer sits down into a pocket of the wall framing part way, ie does not sit on the roof, per say.
Relative easy of doing this type of framing? Time it takes?
Thanks
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
lec1212 wrote:
Also looks like your model has what we call "soft story" issues. complete collapse from any lateral movement, based on the bottom floor.
Complete collapse? And this was modelled just to restore the facade. I wonder if the guys who built it back in the 16th century thought about lateral movement? Oh well, I guess they can't be sued anymore...
lec1212 wrote:
What we have lots and lots of in the US is what we call conventional light frame construction. How will Framewright handle this kind of framing?
The image was intended to illustrate the level of complexity it is capable of handling - anything simpler is, well.. simpler to model.

FrameWright is designed for heavy structural timber framing, and would have more appeal for the craftsman, or master carpenter. It doesn't take walls and roofs and instantly transform it into a 'typical' framed construction. FrameWright is usually applied to bespoke or one-off designs
lec1212 wrote:
Maybe even a split wall dormer. That's where the dormer sits down into a pocket of the wall framing part way, ie does not sit on the roof, per say.
I've attached a smattering of images that I had close to hand. This software is capable of modelling any kind of framing, but the design methodology and tools will suit some better than others. Time varies with complexity, but from start to completed quote/scheduling is typically between 1/2 to 2 days. We offer a demo, so you could try it for yourself. I can put you in touch with other users too.
Framing-Images.jpg
Ralph Wessel BArch
Ralph, awesome pictures.

I wish Graphisoft had a page introducing all add-ons and complex objects available, introducing them pretty much like you have done in this thread. There is so much beautiful stuff out there.

[For those curious about lateral movement in medieval timber buildings: there is this great book, 'Framed Buildings of England', R. T. Mason.]
Anonymous
Not applicable
lec1212 wrote:
Hi Ralph
Although very fancy indeed, not very practical, at least here for most framing.
Two things:
1. What we have lots and lots of in the US is what we call conventional light frame construction. How will Framewright handle this kind of framing?
2. Also looks like your model has what we call "soft story" issues.
complete collapse from any lateral movement, based on the bottom floor.
Thanks

www.cadimagetools.com/suites.aspx?id=5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Great stuff Ralph.
It's what we generally cal type 4 HT (Heavy Timber) construction which
looks like your Frameworks would be great at.
Although can be functional to beautiful (the great "Lodge Look") there is just not that much of it in our area.
More interested in getting Graphisoft to release your raved about MJT.