cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

how to save a 3D view

Anonymous
Not applicable
I could use some help.
I'm working in the 3d window and using the orbit and pan tools as well as the mouse scroll wheel to zoom in and out until I get my view just the way I want it.
I'd like to be able to save the view that I'm looking at but I don't seem to be able to figure out how to do that. Please tell me how I can save a view as I'm looking at it on my monitor.
Thank you,
John
16 REPLIES 16
Karl Ottenstein
johncassel wrote:
Aloha Karl,
When I do create the View as you suggest the zoom and extents of the image aren't saved. The angle yes, the zoom and extents no. Do you know why that is happening? Do you know how I can save a view so the zoom and extents of the image are saved in the view?
Good (early) morning, John,

Strange... no problems here. I was in 15, but just launched 11 and both axo and perspective views are saved (and restore) exactly as I have them in the 3D window. From your last post responding to TMA_80, I gather you've got this working now, though?
johncassel wrote:
Karl wrote:
I haven't touched this area in years, using Artlantis instead,

What is the learning curve on Artlantis. I am working on a project today for a simple presentation tomorrow where I want to show two or three simple hidden line 3D interior views and maybe 8 simple line drawing style interior elevations for a small 700sf house. I have the house and features modeled.
Sorry that I wasn't clear. I meant that I use Artlantis for animations vs dealing with the camera/path tools in ArchiCAD.

(I do use it also for renderings to avoid dealing with LW setting - particularly for lighting - but that wasn't what I was going off topic about earlier.)
johncassel wrote:
Is Artlantis plug and play?
One other feature that I'm considering Artlantis for is that in a week I'll want to show the clients these same simple views with colors and textures representing the wall colors, tile layouts, appliances, fixtures and cabinets with all of the colors and textures represented in my drawings. Normally, I would just hand color (with pencil, pen and paper) the CAD drawings that I created in ArchiCAD. Do you think Artlantis is easy enough to learn quickly so I can do these colored views using Artlantis with just a few days of learning?
What can you tell me about the learning curve for Artlantis?
I think Artlantis is pretty easy to learn in a couple of hours to one day depending on the person. The help manual is very skimpy, but there are a variety of videos to watch to see how things are done. The most poorly documented feature is the animation timeline functionality which will take some experimentation to understand I think.

Models exported from ArchiCAD open perfectly. There is a 'reference' function so that even after you have set up views, materials, etc in Artlantis, you can still export an altered ArchiCAD model and have it updated with the prior Artlantis work (reference).

Material/shader assignment is just a visual drag and drop into the 3D window which is a real-time preview of the render, including lighting and reflections. Render quality is far superior to ArchiCAD.

But, would I look at this for some images that you need in one week? Guess it depends on what else you have to do this week. 😉 There is a free trial version. But, I just checked and the current version of Artlantis (4) only has export modules for AC 14 and 15. It can open older version files - but you loose too much power, I think. AC 11 can only export to Artlantis 2, which is before layers were introduced into the Artlantis file format. So, I guess I'd hold off on Artlantis until after you're able to upgrade ArchiCAD. Doesn't hurt to mess around with the free demo though.

Since the images don't need to be marketing-level quality, your present hand-coloring of linework drawings from AC seems the most time efficient. Certainly, you can set up all of the saved 3D views for those colored sketches in ArchiCAD. Either render as Sketch, or create a 3D Document for each view (linework only)...
johncassel wrote:
I am not looking for photo rendering images. More just images that replicate my hand colored drawings or water color and colored pencil drawings. It's what I'm used to. I feel like my hand drawings get good response from my clients. I also think it would be easier and quicker to do with a software package like Artlantis.
What can you tell me about the learning curve for Artlantis?
Thanks,
John
Oops. Finally read this part. Artlantis is all about photorendering - whether just stills (Render version), or stills, VR and animation (Studio version). For hand colored looks, many people use Piranesi ... but for people who are talented with pencils and brush (not me!), they can do the work on top of a line drawing themselves faster than painting in Piranesi, I think.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.8, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Karl,
That is just what I needed to know about Artlantis and Piranesi.

I enjoy the finished product when I trace my 3D views with pencil. The final product looks like I can draw in 3D which is a skill that the dean of my architecture school told me that I needed. I scoffed at his suggestion and said that I can do it quicker in formZ than I could hand draw a 3D view. What I missed was how valuable a skill it is for an architect to be able to draw quickly in 3D. I'm still paying the price for not putting in the time to practice the skill more when I was in school--when I had the time.

That said, I'm here on a Saturday morning starting to trace 3D views so tomorrow I can show my clients my ideas for the interior renovation of their home.

One of the big reasons that I don't just show them the ArchiCAD 3D view is because I need to add a lot of detail to the cabinets faces and other details in the room. It would take me a long time to model these details.

Do you have a suggestion for how to quickly (or easily) model details using like the ones in this photo so they would show up in a 3D hidden line view?
Anonymous
Not applicable
How could I quickly and easily model details like these?
Girl's Bedroom Smaller.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Or model easily model cabinet details like this. This type of detail is why I hand draw the details in my 3D views. I just cannot figure out a way to quickly and easily model a house full of details like this using ArchiCAD so they show up in a 3D view.
I am open to any suggestions or thoughts on how to model this level of detail in ArchiCAD so the details show up in the 3D views.
Mahalo,
John
Anonymous
Not applicable
Or design and model details like this using ArchiCAD?
Living Room.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
ArchiCAD Help: Virtual Building : Parametric Objects : Graphic Creation of Custom Objects : Saving Custom Shape Doors and Windows from the Project File

Anyway, I'm giving it a try to see if I can model custom doors for the cabinets and doors similar to the ones shown above.. If I can it will be great to be able to generate a 3D rendering of my designs as a tool for communicating with my clients.

I'm going to wind up using these custom parts repeated many times throughout the house. Is there anything that anyone wants to share with me about keeping the custom parts as small (parameterically) as possible so my PLN stays manageable?
Anonymous
Not applicable
This maybe already an answered question, but I am saving my 3d views with:

View -> 3D Navigation Extras -> Put a camera into the path.