Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

library parts fills not obscuring object behind in PlotMaker

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm having a problem with library parts (Plant Symbols 81) fills not obscuring objects behind them when the views are brought into PlotMaker. In ArchiCAD if I place a plant symbol (i.e., Tree 5 Elev from Plant Symbol 81) the objects obscure other objects and lines that are behind the symbol in the Display Order. However, when I bring the view into Plotmaker the symbols do not obscure lines and objects that are behind them.
I've tried all of the various Fill settings in PlotMaker but those settings did not seem to fix the problem.
I use Fills (Solid Fill, Fill Pen 91, Fill Background 91) to obscure lines and objects when I need them not to show up in Plotmaker. These settings work for Fills but not for Objects.
Can anyone please tell me how to get Symbol Object's fills to obscure objects behind them?
Thank you,
John

Object Fill problem copy.jpg
7 REPLIES 7
tsturm
Newcomer
Dear John.

Most people like for the building to show through otherwise they wonder what you are trying to hide with the trees.

However, for you and your desire, open the plant's GDL to see if there is any code in the 2D script for a fill. You need to look simply for the FILL command. If there is no FILL command then no matter how you change the part it will never obsecure the building.

Also check that the library part is foward of any other object. This is the move forward command found under the OPTIONS menu.

Perhaps a screen image of both the AC and PM windows of the elevation in the same picture would help us to help you better.
Terrence Sturm, Architect
AC 23 build
AC 24 build 5000
Anonymous
Not applicable
Terrence Sturm.

We have CC&Rs that are asking to see the relationship of the trees to the structures. We are deliberatly trying to obscure the building with the trees in this view.

Yes, the tree symbols do have fill properties. I am writing to find out why the fills are not working in PlotMaker.

As you sugestted I am posting an image of the trees and house in ArchiCAD.

Thank you,
John
Trees in ArchiCAD copy.jpg
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Dearrrrrr John (sorry couldn't resist),

Try checking your Display Options in PlotMaker.

Specifically: Options>Display Options>Options For Display & Output>Fills: Keep Original Settings.

This way, the fill applied to your tree (which I am assuming is set to pen 91 (white)) will act the same way in PM as it does in AC, and you'll be laughing all the way to the plotter

Good luck.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link.
I wish it was that easy. Before I posted the first question I tried ALL of PlotMaker's Display Options for fills with no sucess.
I would love to be laughing. Tell me about the weather up there.
Many thanks,
Aloha,
John
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Well that is strange. What library part are you using for your tree? I had success with all the trees in the Plant Symbols 81 folder. Have you tried testing it in a New & Reset Layout Book?

The weather? Well I am working in Casper, Wyoming this week and the weather is 'bitterly cold' - and that's not my description, that's how the local meterologist described it on TV! It was 22 below last night (fahrenheit!). And then there's the wind that just goes straight through you. They said that if you spend more than 10 minutes outside, you are susceptable to frostbite. Frostbite??!!! I'm from Australia - frostbite is what you get if you venture to the South Pole or try to conquer Mount Everest, not something you are 'susceptible' to on the way to work! Jeesh!

I hope it is warmer in Hawaii! If you like, please send a small PLA example of you problem file.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link,
Thank you Link. Your suggestion to try a new Plotmaker Layout Book with the default settings (New and Reset) put me on the path to the solution.
In the new Layout Book the fills obscured the building in the background just fine. The problem was not in the Display Options but in the Preferences/Miscellaneous setting for Fill Background Color. My problem Layout Book was using this setting at "All Fills Transparent". This setting needs to be set to "Use Fills' Background Color" to obscure the objects in the background. Of course the fills need to be set properly in ArchiCAD for this to work. The Plant Symbols in the 8.1 library do have their fills set properly as they come out of the box.
I should remember to look in Preferences when all else fails as I've had a setting in this menu throw me off before.
My thanks again to you for putting me on to the solution. I'd offer a frosty beverage as my thanks for your help but it sounds like it is a bit chilly up there for a cold one. Let me buy you a drink the next time you are in the neighborhood.
Many thanks,
John
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Hey John

Glad I could help, even that obscurely. I should have thought of that too.

I'll definitely take you up on the beer - just have to find a reason to be 'in your area' I am now in Florida and am looking forward to a little slice of Americana that is the Daytona 500. I was surprised to see that the website offers 3D Maps of the race track and seating. Quite awesome models really (http://www.seats3d.com/international_speedway_corporation/daytona_international_speedway/). I wonder if it was modeled in ArchiCAD? Either way, It's a very good example of how the technology can and should be used. They just need to add the cars and a few hundred thousand rednecks and it'll be just like being there!

Take care.

Cheers,
Link.